Votes: 35 4.9%

• Total voters

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard Powder Blue and Black Tangs have the same problem.. ^^^ Is this true?

The success rate on a powder blue imo is more than an achilies tang being that I have tried an achilies already with no luck I will try my luck with a powder blue this time even your lfs would recommend a powder blue or black over an achilies because the achilies is so finiky that's just my.02

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point Troy, I voted for a naso. Great for grazing the rocks, great colors, not aggressive as some others, and pretty easy to keep.

Achilles survival rate makes it the worst on the list. I read this thread thinking, if someone was buying their first tang and putting it in a large reef tank, what would you tell them to get?

My answer: Naso or Yellow

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point Troy, I voted for a naso. Great for grazing the rocks, great colors, not aggressive as some others, and pretty easy to keep.

Achilles survival rate makes it the worst on the list. I read this thread thinking, if someone was buying their first tang and putting it in a large reef tank, what would you tell them to get?

My answer: Naso or Yellow
exactly!!!!!! i mean there is tons of beautiful tangs i wish i could have them all!!! lol but many don't do well in captivity and shouldn't even be on that list..... a yellow or kole, naso etc are proven and great fish for aquaria most of those need to be left in the ocean imho.......

Luwe2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly!!!!!! i mean there is tons of beautiful tangs i wish i could have them all!!! lol but many don't do well in captivity and shouldn't even be on that list..... a yellow or kole, naso etc are proven and great fish for aquaria most of those need to be left in the ocean imho.......

Hey Troylee, what tangs would you recommend NOT to get?

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! For those who put Gem Tang haha, very rare mind you!

Clown tangs are a no no, I think a the best would be Blue/Hippo/Regal Tangs as they are not as aggressive and territorial like the rest of their ancestors.

Chorse Momma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Atlantic Blue Tang. It has its own beauty and charm. He buddies up with my CBB. I love the Sohal- but I was afraid of it getting too big for my tank. I have a 180. I just did not want to stress it.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about orange shoulders? I know they are not super colorful but something about them I just love. I have a lieutenant already. Super cool tang. Again not super colorful. Grey body but the neon blue on the edges of his fins and his lieutenant stripes are cool.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were not voting for our favorite tang here....... by far the achillies is the worst tang you could get and hardest to keep..... i know it's pretty it's my favorite fish but they don't do well in captivity..... i can't believe it's in first place for the best to have in a tank.....:sad:

+1!

completely.

clarky2120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vote for your favorite Tang.
If it is not listed, Please feel free to post it in a comment. :]

were not voting for our favorite tang here....... by far the achillies is the worst tang you could get and hardest to keep..... i know it's pretty it's my favorite fish but they don't do well in captivity..... i can't believe it's in first place for the best to have in a tank.....:sad:

the very first post says "vote for your favorite tang." I interpret that as my favorite overall, not necessarily one I would put in my tank. That's probably what's confusing some people.

The best tang in my tank is my kole tang. It's not my favorite tang I have, but serves the biggest purpose by grazing all the time.

My favorite is the achilles, but I wouldn't it my tank.

EDIT: Did anyone else google image search Gem Tang? The images weren't what I expected....That is my new favorite fish :wink:

Last edited:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also changed my favorite tang to Gem Tang. Those Google image search result pictures did it for me.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo blue tang munches on algae, is great with all the other fish, and is hardy, and never even looks at the few corals I have. I have to say, it's the perfect reef tank tang, IMO.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to catch my 6"-7" hippo because he decided he wanted to start eating zoanthids after 4 years.

Gp2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlamingi! By far my favorite, but they need a LOT of water! Mine has never messed with any other fish. I do have a strong suspicion that he took out my cleaner shrimp though:neutral:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 people choose an Achiles tang lol and I don't even think 5 people own an achilies on this site they are so hard to keep I don't see them being as a best tang for anyones tank other than looks

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i voted my fav not best for tank. I think many are voting achilies because they like it not because its good for a reef tank. I think best is yellow they can go in smaller tanks (compared to most tangs) easy to keep and are great algae grazers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back