Bored with my freshwater tanks

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the EXACT same thing last week!! I've invested hours and hours in research and planning for our saltwater tank that I finally have cycling. Needless to say, I'm no longer interested in our freshwater tank which just like your case, mine also belongs to my 8 year old. So here's what you do...bribe him to take it down so you can replace it....with a Nerf gun wall!! Boom. Problem solved!! He's happier and so am I. One less tank to maintain and more focus towards saltwater :D
IMG_0497.JPG

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of shutting down my 75 gallon african tank. I just got really bored with freshwater tanks. I don't want to invest into a planted tank. I would rather invest into a lagoon tank with macro algae and corals.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my 240g frontosa/tricoti tank. And I miss my 180 Malawi Hap/Peacock tank.

now I have a 200g mixed reef and a 29 biocube QT.

The 180 is empty in my garage. I refuse to sell it - thinking maybe one day I'll set up another african cichlid tank. But that's probably not going to happen. The best practice is to way overstock those tanks - so I would be doing a 40g water change every week added to my 30g salt change. Too many buckets!

Ah, the buckets! I tell myself it's my workout for the week [emoji23]

Edit to add: but my biggest is only a 72. I could not handle a 180 for anything! That would be a workout for like a year! lol

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the EXACT same thing last week!! I've invested hours and hours in research and planning for our saltwater tank that I finally have cycling. Needless to say, I'm no longer interested in our freshwater tank which just like your case, mine also belongs to my 8 year old. So here's what you do...bribe him to take it down so you can replace it....with a Nerf gun wall!! Boom. Problem solved!! He's happier and so am I. One less tank to maintain and more focus towards saltwater :D
IMG_0497.JPG

OMG!! That is pretty awesome!

R.moore80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0497.JPG

What would you do if your girlfriend didn't want to let you take down your 60g planted angel tank because "you literally just finished it a month ago" (it's actually been done for months I just add plants when I feel like it)

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at my planted tank more than my saltwater one recently. But I imagine that will change when I put the new/used 58 gallon saltwater in the front room. Then I'll probably be gazing at that more.

Coco Go

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater planted tank are boring because green is the dominant color, which is boring. Trimming also takes so much time and again very boring. Saltwater in the other hand is just full of colors and trimming(fragging) corals is fun. Keeping an Arowana on a BB tank is the only fun thing in the freshwater hobby IMHO. They're just relaxing to watch.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my 240g frontosa/tricoti tank. And I miss my 180 Malawi Hap/Peacock tank.

now I have a 200g mixed reef and a 29 biocube QT.

The 180 is empty in my garage. I refuse to sell it - thinking maybe one day I'll set up another african cichlid tank. But that's probably not going to happen. The best practice is to way overstock those tanks - so I would be doing a 40g water change every week added to my 30g salt change. Too many buckets!
Not much to a water change on freshwater. Lump in empty 15 to 20 % with hose to garden. Turn on tap with hose connected refill. Easy as can be [emoji3]

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0497.JPG
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] brilliant

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do if your girlfriend didn't want to let you take down your 60g planted angel tank because "you literally just finished it a month ago" (it's actually been done for months I just add plants when I feel like it)
Take her out shopping for the day and say you will treat her as you are going to treat yourself to a bew tank

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not much to a water change on freshwater. Lump in empty 15 to 20 % with hose to garden. Turn on tap with hose connected refill. Easy as can be [emoji3]

Ha - yup. In fact, since posting that last post I decided to switch the big tank over to a Malawi Hap/Peacock tank. I was just gone so much that I couldn't dedicate enough time to keeping the reef healthy and thriving. It turned into more of an uphill battle then I really have the stomach for at the moment.

The fun thing, though - is that it's kind of a hybrid freshwater/reef tank. I got rid of all of the reef equipment but I'm keeping the APEX and the ATO and my radions (already built into ceiling, looks cool). So it's a freshwater tank with the automation of a reef tank....which is awesome.

I also kept one doser so I can drop in additives as needed, and with the automatic feeder I can leave it be for a week with no issue.

Hardest part is the hardest part of any kind of tank - waiting for the dang cycle to finish so I can get some fish.

cleah206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater tanks are awesome. There are some really interesting fish, inverts, and plants you can get for them. I'm just now joining the dark side with you guys, but I'll never give up my freshwaters.. OK, maybe a few to make room for reef tanks, but I'll keep most of them.

I have 15 planted tanks. 10 of them are shrimp tanks. The sales I make pay for my aquarium addiction. My favorite is a 40g high-light planted tank with some irrubesco red eye puffers. http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/carinotetraodon_irrubesco.htm

Planted tanks are the way to go. Google Amano planted tanks for inspiration.

I have been looking for Irrubescos for over 2 years now, they are my Holy Grail fish. I adore puffers and keep a bunch ❤️ If you ever need to downsize that red eye red tail puffer tank, I definitely would LOVE to pay handsomely to rehome a couple (I rescue fish for my hobby, so paying to rehome vs paying the store is much more in line with my values!). Sounds like you have quite a few beautiful setups, envious over here

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back