Brand new to forum & seawater life..

Phyllis-Sherer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found what I believe is a yearling Fighting Conch washed up on a beach this last week. Brought him home and set him up with Nature's Ocean sand, 'bacteria water', a water mover/filter system & heat from a large local fish store. He seems happily buried in the new sand. The water is good & clear today.
One place told me he's an herbivore only and gave me algae, another place said he'd eat anything, like tiny bits of shrimp. I need correct ID & actual facts please.

Thanks SO much!

Phyllis

The last 3 photos are from today, the one below (brown coloring) is last night right after adding the new sand & water, then the next two are from when I first got him into a tank with actual beach water & shells/sand.

IMG_0996.JPG

With new sand & water last night from the fish store after settling for two hours ^

2 Photos from two days ago, pre-water & sand from store. I love his coloring!

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

This morning:

IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

(the squiggly lines below is the water filter shooting into the tank)

IMG_0997.JPG

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and hopefully someone will know more about your little friend. I believe it's going to eat algae and anything else it's finding in the sandbed ect. Scavenger type diet I'm guessing.

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from the net! Looks similar!
Screenshot_20161023-221320.jpg

The lightning whelk is a relatively common seashell which is native to the Atlantic coast of the United States from North Carolina to Florida and along the Gulf of Mexico to Texas. Thispredatory sea snail can be found in the sand from the near low tide line to water about 10 feet deep. They feed primarily on marine bivalves (clams, scallops, etc.).

OP
OP
Phyllis-Sherer

Phyllis-Sherer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a shrimp a few minutes ago. He fully came out of his shell, checked it out, moved it out of the way, and moved on. :(
By the way, he doesn't have an eye on the end of the 'proboscus', does that mean he's a whelk & not a conch?

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back