Bristle worm questions

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Warning...graphic bristle worm pictures...if you are squeamish this is your chance to close this thread****

I have a BioCube 29. Bought it already set up. Several months into having it, I happened to see something dart under a rock. It was a huge bristle worm. I have made a few unsuccessful attempts to catch it.

My clownfish laid eggs a few days ago. The clownfish has bristles all over their faces from fighting it and most of their eggs came up missing last night :0(

That was the last straw. I happened to see it out tonight (only comes a few inches out of the rock, never all the way). I was able to grab it with a pair of hemostats. It literally pulled my hand into the rock as it retreated into it. I held tight and in the process the head (?) came off. So the rest of the worm is in the rock. i would have preferred to take it alive, but I had to stop its destruction :0(

Will this spike my ammonia? It really is huge and would be equal to a dead fish in size.

My second question, can anyone tell if this is the bristle worms head for sure? Do they ever just stick their tails out of the rocks?
FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to get the body out?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take the rock out and give it a peroxide dip the worms will come out. Peroxide Dip, put rock in container big enough to cover rock with tank water , add peroxide a little at a time, till you see little bubbles form on rock,worms will wiggle out.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take the rock out and give it a peroxide dip the worms will come out. Peroxide Dip, put rock in container big enough to cover rock with tank water , add peroxide a little at a time, till you see little bubbles form on rock,worms will wiggle out.
after this is done, do you need to cycle to rock from the peroxide?

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem with this rock is it has an anemone and clownfish eggs :(

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I was afraid of the worm decaying. Turned the rock upside down, but kept it in water (so I did not hurt the anemone or eggs) while my daughter looked for the rest of the worm.

Fortunately I do not have to worry about it decaying BECAUSE IT IS STILL ALIVE :eek:

We were able to pull out a few more pieces (were still squirming around), but I am afraid there is still several more inches of worm in there.

Which leads to another question....is it going to survive?!?!

And it definitely looks like a fire worm.
IMG_4295.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought a BC29 from a guy who's tank was DEVISTATED by fire worms. When I got home and started cleaning it there were literally 100s of dead ones, and several HUGE ones in the rocks and sand. Yours sounds like a big one but where there's smoke there's fire, keep an eye open for more! Good luck hunting!

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pieces won't die
Just like most other worm species it will regenerate lost tissue
That's definitely a fire worm and not a common bristle worm

Well, that is not what I wanted to hear :(
But I do know for sure some of the pieces will not survive lol

So I recently bought a BC29 from a guy who's tank was DEVISTATED by fire worms. When I got home and started cleaning it there were literally 100s of dead ones, and several HUGE ones in the rocks and sand. Yours sounds like a big one but where there's smoke there's fire, keep an eye open for more! Good luck hunting!

Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare :eek: This is the only one we have ever seen in the tank. I was never able to see more than a few inches of it, and only with indirect red light. As soon as it seen the light (red or white) it was gone.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone moved for the first time in many months after the clownfish fought with the fire worm. If the fire worm hit the anemone would that sting the anemone?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these worms only come from life rock or can it develope after some time even with dry rock? Is it possible that eggs could be in the life sand when someone buys it and over time they hatch? Me for one don't like those things. Op is there a way you can get the eggs into a qt then remove the rock to kill the worm?

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are regenerative
Don't sting anemones
Hydatina eat them
Stenopus hispidus also , but not that size
Be sure that with a stenopus in the tank they dont reach that size

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these worms only come from life rock or can it develope after some time even with dry rock? Is it possible that eggs could be in the life sand when someone buys it and over time they hatch? Me for one don't like those things. Op is there a way you can get the eggs into a qt then remove the rock to kill the worm?

You would have to introduce it to your tank in the form of live rock, frags, live sand, etc...

The Clownfish eggs are stuck onto the rock. They should hatch in the next couple days. Even though they will not survive, we wanted to at least see them hatch.

He could have stayed if he would have left everyone else alone. I had a peppermint shrimp go missing and two healthy chromis die that lived in the same rock. No proof, but it looks likely it was him.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people dont like em. But theyre pretty :)

It likes LRS frozen food lol The clownfish should hatch tonight so I will be digging through the rock for the remainder of the worm.

I am truly amazed at how fast these regenerate. The head of the small one has completely healed and it now has a mouth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back