Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven days and lots of dying algae. Fox face, tailspot blenny, blue eyed tang and starry blenny are eating what they would never touch before. I may do a heavy harvest tomorrow of the bigger masses and dose again. Looks like it will come right out. Im thinking that removing amounts of algae will show more uptake to the roots faster. I could be wrong but I don't see why it wouldn't be like crisping lettuce in a bath....tearing it up allows capillary action to fill up the tissue. Wonder if fresh harvesting and treatment would do the same. When I originally dosed, 50% was directly applied with syringe to bio mass and the rest broad cast.

20170226_145501.jpg

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven days and lots of dying algae. Fox face, tailspot blenny, blue eyed tang and starry blenny are eating what they would never touch before. I may do a heavy harvest tomorrow of the bigger masses and dose again. Looks like it will come right out. Im thinking that removing amounts of algae will show more uptake to the roots faster. I could be wrong but I don't see why it wouldn't be like crisping lettuce in a bath....tearing it up allows capillary action to fill up the tissue. Wonder if fresh harvesting and treatment would do the same. When I originally dosed, 50% was directly applied with syringe to bio mass and the rest broad cast.

20170226_145501.jpg
I believe Jackie found that pulling some half way through treatment seems to slow the process.
John

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weakend gha has not been eaten by my tang nor snails. I am wondering if only biopsies becomes appetizing to CUC and not gha? Any input?

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my gha isn't reacting nearly as much. I have added a couple more doses.
I read that certain medications are pulled out by purigen. I happen to use a heavy amount of purigen in a reactor in the sump. I have now pulled the purigen, in case. Anyone know if flucanazole would be one of the medications that purigen pulls out?

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my capsules.. very excited to try this!! Has anyone treated a tank with especially sensitive livestock? I am losing the 'B' battle in my seahorse tank :(

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Jackie found that pulling some half way through treatment seems to slow the process.
John
Yes if you initially had thick masses of it and harvest off where it took up the meds and the water column has been depleted it will take considerably longer.

However, if you add more meds to make up for it that might be fine :) If one doesn't have additional meds (I didn't at the time) it will take past 14 days and some roots could be left behind.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my capsules.. very excited to try this!! Has anyone treated a tank with especially sensitive livestock? I am losing the 'B' battle in my seahorse tank :(
I'm told Harlequin shrimp are very sensitive and I haven't had any issues with mine

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I ordered 20 capsules of the mess from the website that was recommended here... that was 3 weeks ago. Does it usually take this long? I know they said there were limitations to 20 capsules per buyer but didn't see anything about not being available

Ryan Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you did the first dose? Unless you have high no3 I wouldn't do a wc just yet. The majority if not all people have not had no3 spikes. P04 can rise, if so adding gfo back won't hurt anything. The bulk of mine was gone by day 8. It takes time for the algae to soak up the meds from tip to root so wc before 14 days can take out some of the meds. Personally I would just ride out the full 14 days and see how it looks then decide if you need to dose again. (Most people don't need to [emoji2][/

It's been about 7 days now, I was just going to do the water change for the hell of it because I bought a bunch of extra fluconazole and have more than enough to spare and my tank was pretty bad, just figured a water change and a new dose would finish everything off for good

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! actually i'm a day late... been busy....

Result is...... I am now 100% bryopsis free !!!!!!!!!!! :D still doing my happy dance after 24 hours :)

Quick summary...

Good points..... when I dosed the fluconazole, I turned pumps off and used a turkey baster to target bryopsis areas, that worked well. Left pumps off for 30 mins.

Bad points..... I turned skimmer on after just 24 hours, really needs to be off longer, i would say a week minimum.

My spinning ball of chaeto completely disintegrated!!! BUT, I was also dosing Vibrant for 3 weeks , 2 x per week and during 1st week after fluconazole, so I think it was the vibrant or combination.

No coral or fish or invert problems at all. BTA was happy throughout.

Nitrates rose from normal 0.2ppm to 1-2ppm at highest
Phosphates rose from normal 0.015 to 0.1ppm ..... had a small cyano outbreak, again maybe due to use of vibrant.... easily cleared.

Day 1 - Before
P2120005.JPG
P2120004.JPG

P2140004.JPG

Day 14 - 100% bryopsis free !!! :)
P2270004.JPG
P2270005.JPG
P2270006.JPG

I can't thank @Sabellafella and @NCreefguy and everyone else here enough for this thread and helping others so much!

After the 14 days, I cleaned everything, did a double water change, fresh GFO and Carbon... tank looks great again :)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I ordered 20 capsules of the mess from the website that was recommended here... that was 3 weeks ago. Does it usually take this long? I know they said there were limitations to 20 capsules per buyer but didn't see anything about not being available

You ordered this 2 weeks ago right?
http://reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-help.289735/#post-3526788

I received both of my orders from Payless is 2-3 days but I got the Priority shipping on both orders.

Snail Mail takes a while sometimes but it will be worth it in the end. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Result is...... I am now 100% bryopsis free !!!!!!!!!!! :D still doing my happy dance after 24 hours :)

Quick summary...

Good points..... when I dosed the fluconazole, I turned pumps off and used a turkey baster to target bryopsis areas, that worked well. Left pumps off for 30 mins.

Bad points..... I turned skimmer on after just 24 hours, really needs to be off longer, i would say a week minimum.

My spinning ball of chaeto completely disintegrated!!! BUT, I was also dosing Vibrant for 3 weeks , 2 x per week and during 1st week after fluconazole, so I think it was the vibrant or combination.

Phosphates rose from normal 0.015 to 0.1ppm ..... had a small cyano outbreak, again maybe due to use of vibrant.... easily cleared.

Day 1 - Before
P2120005.JPG
P2120004.JPG

P2140004.JPG

P2270004.JPG
P2270005.JPG
P2270006.JPG

I can't thank @Sabellafella and @NCreefguy and everyone else here enough for this thread and helping others so much!

After the 14 days, I cleaned everything, did a double water change, fresh GFO and Carbon... tank looks great again :)

I'm happy this worked out for you Rob. Everything looks great in your tank! :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick summary...

Day 1 - Before
P2120005.JPG
P2120004.JPG

P2140004.JPG

P2270004.JPG
P2270005.JPG
P2270006.JPG

woohoo!!! Congrats!

Cheato, yes vibrant! I did an experiment with mine because vibrant was killing mine . since I stopped dosing vibrant when I began the fluconazole I put a piece of mine back in my sump and it's perfectly fine. The one that vibrant got ahold of turned to mush.

And yes I agree the skimmer should be off at least one week maybe longer if you have it really bad. I noticed that once I turn my skimmer back on on day 8 it slowed the progress.

We need a full tank shot!!!

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right! Maybe it was only 2 weeks... lol my bad! I should have gotten priority!

Oh it's okay, I was just double checking to see if you ordered from Payless because you said you ordered from a place recommended here. I know we have mentioned several places in this thread so I wanted to tell you if it was Payless then they are a great place to order from.
I always get the Priority shipping because I want things yesterday. :D

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Quick summary...

Day 1 - Before
P2120005.JPG
P2120004.JPG

P2140004.JPG

P2270004.JPG
P2270005.JPG
P2270006.JPG

Very happy it worked out. Now you can continue to enjoy that beautiful tank you got there for years to come!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back