Budget minded LED lighting

Onebadcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, I am new here.. Really not new to the saltwater aquarium world though. I got out in about 2009, I was running a 90 gallon with 500 watts of MH lighting and other add on lighting to moon effect etc.. Well I have a 2 year old now and he is just amazed with the hobby. I went and bought a running 30 gallon tank with a clown and live rock etc.. but the thirst went back to a bigger tank, though the wife and I agree 90 was way to big for our tiny house so we settled on a 60 gallon. I see the lighting now days seems to have gone the way of led, which I think is great seeing how I used to burn so much water off with the MH.. So long winded as this is, what is a very budget friendly LED setup that will allow SPS to flourish and make the other tank creatures happy? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Onebadcat

Onebadcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am sure I can do someting like that.. I am an auto tech and have a hobby fixing arcade machines

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Onebadcat

Onebadcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculation is like $550 for their recommend setup Ramasule...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Mars Aqua fixture.....can't beat the price. I think I paid $78 for the 165W fixture I have, but they've since creeped up to around $95. Still a great deal for the dollar.

OP
OP
Onebadcat

Onebadcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Mars Aqua fixture.....can't beat the price. I think I paid $78 for the 165W fixture I have, but they've since creeped up to around $95. Still a great deal for the dollar.
I saw these too, it worried me a little with the pricing, but a ton of good reviews... is the 165w(they say the are) enough to keep some sps happy?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these too, it worried me a little with the pricing, but a ton of good reviews... is the 165w(they say the are) enough to keep some sps happy?

Without question you can keep SPS under these....I am! For a four foot 90 gallon tank, my preference would be two 165 W fixtures. They do sell a 300W model, but what I like about two is that you can separate them a bit more to get total coverage. Now they are called 165 W because they have 55, 3 W LEDs in them. However, they are only running at about 2.2 to 2.1 W per LED, so that puts them around 120W.....typical for any 3 W LED.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like a newb...so you put two 156w Mars over your 40 gallon?

You are right. One of these over a 40 is more than enough light. I can only assume he had them turned way, way down.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back