Caddo lake invaded by giant salvinia.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up and learned how to fish, ski, swim on this lake and it's being taken over by an invasive plant brought in for the aquarium trade. It's taking over and efforts to rid it aren't making much of a dent. This plant doubles in size in 2 days so it grows faster than it can be killed and can completely kill off parts of the lake it infests.

image.jpg

http://cise.tamu.edu/caddo

Weevils are being raised in greenhouses that eat the salvinia but they can't be raised fast enough!

This is a natural lake and one of the top in the country. Something needs to be done before it's all gone.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics I took before the salvinia invasion.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

There's a fat alligator head in the middle of this pic. That was a fun fishing trip! Lol!
image.jpg

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in the wintertime, when there is a freeze, that might do enough damage to them to put a stop to them. Idk,but most aquarium plants prefer warm Temps and come from tropical climates. Maybe. ....

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in the wintertime, when there is a freeze, that might do enough damage to them to put a stop to them. Idk,but most aquarium plants prefer warm Temps and come from tropical climates. Maybe. ....

It's been in the lake since '06. It dies off in the winter but comes back in force when it warms up. One sprig can infest the lake in a year again. A scrap hanging on a boat propeller can infest another lake in no time.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been in the lake since '06. It dies off in the winter but comes back in force when it warms up. One sprig can infest the lake in a year again. A scrap hanging on a boat propeller can infest another lake in no time.
I just read a Wikipedia on it. I live in Southeast louisiana and I dont think we have that. We have lilies and duck weed that'll grow and cover for a while but they are native. Hope it doesn't spread here.

ken77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is spreading around the whole state and not just in Louisiana either. My env sci students do invasive species booklets every year and that is one they cover.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg Caddo lake is actually on the Texas/LA border. The LA side is worse since it's more shallow and has less flow. The Texas side is more river like and can push the salvinia out.

It still takes over the backwaters and channels when the water is down. We've been in a drought here for several years now which hasn't helped.

sgresham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sad. I'm from Nacogdoches, TX, and Caddo lake is one of the most beautiful lakes to me in Texas. It has such an eerie look and feel. I believe Swamp Thing was filmed there.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad story it's a huge blackeye for the aquarium hobby when things like this happen. I wish people would dispose of unwanted livestock properly so these horrible invasions become less damaging to our natural ecosystems. Hopefully they can figure out a way of reversing this.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was a forest until I read the text. This is horrible :/

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sad. I'm from Nacogdoches, TX, and Caddo lake is one of the most beautiful lakes to me in Texas. It has such an eerie look and feel. I believe Swamp Thing was filmed there.

I'll be down in Nac this week. My kids go to SFA. Yes Swamp Thing was filmed there. There is a recent film about people living on Caddo but I haven't seen it yet. It's called "Uncertain".

https://tribecafilm.com/filmguide/uncertain-2015

sgresham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back