Can mixed saltwater be stored long term and do salt mixes expire? | 52FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good topic...I'm curious to know if there's a problem mixing and storing salt for @ a week or so.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant give you any science but i mix up 35 gallons of redsea blue buckt every Saturday and use it throughout the entire week with no issues

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a BRS Investigate, consider the automatic water change use-case (i.e. 1% daily) vs the manual approach.

From my R2R reading, good old Instant Ocean salt is one of the few salts suitable for AWC, can stay mixed for ~2+ week. On the flip side, AF Reef Salt apparently has a 4-5 day limit, while their probiotics has a 24 hour limit. So neither are really suitable for AWC.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a BRS Investigate, consider the automatic water change use-case (i.e. 1% daily) vs the manual approach.

From my R2R reading, good old Instant Ocean salt is one of the few salts suitable for AWC, can stay mixed for ~2+ week. On the flip side, AF Reef Salt apparently has a 4-5 day limit, while their probiotics has a 24 hour limit. So neither are really suitable for AWC.

Yes, please elaborate on this. My DoS currently changes 10% weekly so salt is stored a while. I haven't noticed any ill effects with the AF Reef Salt - I assume some of the added aminos may be degraded possibly which isn't the end of the world.

But anyways, keep up the good work! Very eagerly awaiting the findings on this!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please elaborate on this. My DoS currently changes 10% weekly so salt is stored a while. I haven't noticed any ill effects with the AF Reef Salt - I assume some of the added aminos may be degraded possibly which isn't the end of the world.

There was a thread about AF and AWC recently, but I can't find it right now.

Besides aminos breaking down, I think the other issue is that salts with organics can start to undergo the whole nitrogen cycle just sitting. I imagine it's a very grey time limit and depends on many factors (temperature, circulation, etc). The 24 hour and 4-5 day limits I quoted are from AF directly. My personal take away was using AWC with the AF's probiotic salt isnt' a great idea, and there is some time limit with the AF Reef Salt. Whether that 1 week, 2 weeks, or 4 weeks, I don't know and varies by person.

But if you're going to store mixed salt for a "longish" time, keep in mind it degrades, and maybe there is no reason to use something besides IO if it sits for a long time

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good topic...I'm curious to know if there's a problem mixing and storing salt for @ a week or so.

Here at BRS, we mix 260gal of SW on Monday morning and our team uses it throughout the week for water changes. I have noticed drops in Alk/Ca during the week, but that's about it. :)

This is going on the board! Thanks!

-Randy

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS How significant are the drops in Ca you are seeing? When I used to mix up SW (~500g) for a LFS I worked at each week, I never noticed a difference over a 10 day span at least using hobbyist grade kits with ~10ppm resolution (heater+return pump were engaged 24/7).

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS How significant are the drops in Ca you are seeing? When I used to mix up SW (~500g) for a LFS I worked at each week, I never noticed a difference over a 10 day span at least using hobbyist grade kits with ~10ppm resolution (heater+return pump were engaged 24/7).

Some weeks were different then others. I could mix a new batch of HW-Reefer and have the Alk test at 9.5dKH, then go to use some and see it down to 8.0dKH. Calcium I've seen drop by nearly 50ppm over the course of the week. This is without a heater, but with two Maxpect Gyres. The reservoir takes about 2 months to cake the sides and pumps with enough precipitate to need a citric acid bath.

-Randy

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched last year from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals to Red Sea Pro Coral salt. I like that I can mix it same day and do a water change. I use to mix Instant Ocean at least 24 hours before adding to tank. I find with Red Sea, it mixes nicely and isn't cloudy. I have tested a fresh batch with test kits...seems to be pretty close on spec for what I'm getting. For now I only have softies and LPS....so this salt for now is prob more than enough to meet the needs of my corals.

T Jorden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aquavitro salinity, I cloud after 12 or so hours mixing, the container I mix in already has noticeable ca/alk build-up (white residue) after 6 or so water changes. One 1550 lph pump in a35 gallon container, no heater.

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know if there was anything different. I mix up two 33gal trash cans and use it in a week or 2 weeks tops

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm developing a good deal of anxiety over this issue now. It takes my DoS 5 weeks to utilize my batch of 50g of AF Reef Mix from the resevior (10g a week).

Should I be having a circulation pump on 24/7? Airstone?

The reservoir is sealed, non heated, and stores in a cold, dark basement.

:confused:

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know about this aswell, I always keep about 5 gallons of salt water in a bucket just in case somthing happens that I need a quick change on hand. I use RSCP salt I am hoping that I don't lose the trace elements from it just sitting. I don't keep it heated it just sits in the basement at around 50 degrees. I hope when you guys do the investigation you research a bunch of different salt brands to see if one type is better to store then other one.
Thank you BRS team for investigation!

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic!

I personally create large batches and store for an extended period of time. I do not heat the mix but I do run a power head to keep it mixed well. I use an apex dos pump and do small daily water changes compared to a larger change and having a large batch is a must with this method.

I use Aquaforest reef salt too. Not the bio version.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic!

I personally create large batches and store for an extended period of time. I do not heat the mix but I do run a power head to keep it mixed well. I use an apex dos pump and do small daily water changes compared to a larger change and having a large batch is a must with this method.

I use Aquaforest reef salt too. Not the bio version.

This is what I do - should I be circulating it 24/7?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know if there was anything different. I mix up two 33gal trash cans and use it in a week or 2 weeks tops

I would like to know about this aswell. I hope when you guys do the investigation you research a bunch of different salt brands to see if one type is better to store then other one.Thank you BRS team for investigation!

I'm not sure what the BRStv Investigates team has for a timeline on these tests, but they are on the to-do list! Great input on testing multiple salts. I'm sure Ryan and Aaron will be pretty thorough with this, as they are with all of our tests. (Wait until tomorrow's episode!)

This is what I do - should I be circulating it 24/7?

Both here and at home, I have powerheads in the saltmix containers 24/7 to keep the water circulating. I think it would be interesting if you were to test the levels on your water with and without circulation! I would test within the first few days and towards the end of the reservoir for both, and test phosphates, nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, and maybe magnesium. ;-)

-Randy

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both here and at home, I have powerheads in the saltmix containers 24/7 to keep the water circulating. I think it would be interesting if you were to test the levels on your water with and without circulation! I would test within the first few days and towards the end of the reservoir for both, and test phosphates, nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, and maybe magnesium. ;-)

-Randy
I will test today when I get home then switch on the circulation and test the following day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back