Can you get scratches out of glass...

JUSTINSREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 125 gallon glass tank for $25 and was hoping that i can buff them out from the front.. There not really deep just looks like they rubbed it down trying to clean it or something and made it cloudy..but for 25 bucks i couldnt pass that up.. So please somebody give me some good news... Thanks for any info..

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the scratches on the inside or outside of the tank?

If on the inside water will fill them in and likely you won't see them.

If on the outside I got nuthin

the captive reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If you can feel them with your fingernail forget about it. It will be impossible, if the scratches are really fine you can use Cerium Oxide powder and a special glass buffing pad and give it a try. I think you can get both for under $20. I bought mine from caswellplating.com

hope this helps,

Mike

PS: It's really messy and it takes a lot of work!!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R JUSTINSREEF!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If you can feel them with your fingernail forget about it. It will be impossible, if the scratches are really fine you can use Cerium Oxide powder and a special glass buffing pad and give it a try. I think you can get both for under $20. I bought mine from caswellplating.com

hope this helps,

Mike

PS: It's really messy and it takes a lot of work!!

+1 especially the last part. It might be worth a try even if you can't get it out entirely you may be able to minimize it.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1....Caswell Plating (caswellplating.com) a kit to take fine scratches out. They claim it works very well????

the captive reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the scratches are on the outside you can buff them with the tank full. If the tank is full and the scratches are on the inside you will have to empty the tank before trying to buff it. The powder when mixed with water makes a paste and you don't want to get it in your tank water.

Remember, if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail they are to deep and will not come out from buffing!!!

Mike

Glass Polisher

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - You can repair scratched glass, even if it catches a fingernail. You have two options. 1 - get a professional glass polisher to do it for you, probably quite expensive 2 - use a DIY glass polishing kit. Cerium Oxide alone (sorry to those who suggested it previously) will not remove anything other than very fine scratches. You need to get abrasive and take the glass back to the depth of the damage and then blend an polish it back to it original state. Sounds easy huh :)

It's not as bad as it sounds. Find a 'flat glass polishing system' and follow the instructions. You will be able to remove the scratches to your 125 gallon fish tank and acheive distortion free results.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JUSTINSREEF

JUSTINSREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will try it thanks for all the info.. glass polisher you have gave me some hope i feel better about trying that out...

OP
OP
JUSTINSREEF

JUSTINSREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you might be right i called the glass place on 31 and they said they can do it if there not to deep,, but it might mess up the viewing glass.. and he said he would do it for 15 to 25 bucks i thought that was cheap.. if it doesnt work it looks like i got a huge sump/refugium for my next big project.. and xotic you need to come get that 55 gallon for a sump/refugium..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back