Carbon - to run or not to run...?

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run carbon as a "better safe than sorry" measure. Any cons to running carbon all the time? I use chemi pure elite. Also I am stuck at Pho at .16 right now with GFO - can carbon trap Pho and leach back into the system?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run carbon as a "better safe than sorry" measure. Any cons to running carbon all the time? I use chemi pure elite. Also I am stuck at Pho at .16 right now with GFO - can carbon trap Pho and leach back into the system?
Does your GFO tumble in it's own reactor?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes two little fishes reactor. The carbon sits in a bag next to my drain
I don't see a problem running carbon 24/7. Just be sure to change it out often. :)

If the carbon gets "full", it can release the organics back in the water that it already adsorbed :eek:

I've never heard of carbon absorbing phos. like GFO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem running carbon 24/7. Just be sure to change it out often. :)

If the carbon gets "full", it can release the organics back in the water that it already adsorbed :eek:

I've never heard of carbon absorbing phos. like GFO.

Cool. How often do you think? The suppliers say every three months but maybe that's overly optimistic for a dirty LPS / Softie / Zola tank?

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine once a week.

Wow. Ok a lot sooner than every three months. What should I look for to see if the carbon is "full"? Increased NO3? Phosphates? Also are you running a bag and if so what size is your tank? Thanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Ok a lot sooner than every three months. What should I look for to see if the carbon is "full"? Increased NO3? Phosphates? Also are you running a bag and if so what size is your tank? Thanks!
I run the carbon passively in my sump. My seahorse system is a 56g DT and 20g sump. Seahorses are super dirty but carbon clogs fast. You are better using a small amount of carbon and changing frequently rather than a large amount and rarely changing it. Your water will almost sparkle when you use carbon.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. How often do you think? The suppliers say every three months but maybe that's overly optimistic for a dirty LPS / Softie / Zola tank?
That's way to long. They always fudge the lifespan.
I run Purigen and it turns colors so I know when it's time.
Also, Seachem states that Puregin does not release the absorbed organics back in the water column when it's fully exhausted.

Right now I only use carbon to absorb medications when a treatment is done. If I ran it 24/7, I'd probably change it out every two weeks to be safe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ran GAC 24/7, but I think it should be a good quality acid washed material such as ROX. Poorer carbons might contribute to problems with certain fish, at least in some circumstances.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swap mine out at least every three weeks. ROX doesn't release thing back into the water, that's a myth.

Release what? Any carbon, GFO, or other binding media certainly can release some organics bound to it as others displace them.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Release what? Any carbon, GFO, or other binding media certainly can release some organics bound to it as others displace them.

What about the bio film that develops on the carbon surface? I feel that helps retain organics once they have been trapped in the matrix of the carbon.

What do you mean others displace them? Organic do a kind of musical chairs moving in and out of the carbon? Serious question.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Lol,
Randy, I though he was saying it's a "myth" that ROX does not release organics back in the column.

I run Purigen and it only makes sense that it can release too. Seachem says it doesn't but I change it way before it's fully exhausted.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run mine 24/7 and change it, Red Sea Reef Spec, every two weeks. I use a BRS 5" Mini Reactor in a 100 net gallon system. I purposely run that small of an amount as to help not over strip the water. That's my theory anyway. Open to suggestions.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back