Carbon - to run or not to run...?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 and change it, Red Sea Reef Spec, every two weeks. I use a BRS 5" Mini Reactor in a 100 net gallon system. I purposely run that small of an amount as to help not over strip the water. That's my theory anyway. Open to suggestions.
I've been thinking about getting the BRS mini and running packed BRS ROX in it.
Your right. If you run too much it will strip every organic out quickly. Bleached a brain coral that way once :(

Do you like the BRS mini?

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about getting the BRS mini and running packed BRS ROX in it.
Your right. If you run too much it will strip every organic out quickly. Bleached a brain coral that way once :(

Do you like the BRS mini?

I love the mini. I have two of them. I use the other for periodic use of Seachem CupriSorb, MetaSorb, etc.
I use to use BRS ROX but switched to Reef Spec because I kept reading that the ROX was too aggressive. If it's on the internet it must be true.:)So far I am pleased with the results of the Reef Spec. I know it is hard to quantify that statement:D but I'm a reefer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the mini. I have two of them. I use the other for periodic use of Seachem CupriSorb, MetaSorb, etc.
I use to use BRS ROX but switched to Reef Spec because I kept reading that the ROX was too aggressive. If it's on the internet it must be true.:)So far I am pleased with the results of the Reef Spec. I know it is hard to quantify that statement:D but I'm a reefer.
I'm really thinking about the BRS mini and the ROX is super aggressive. I bleached out a brain coral by using to much. Stripped out my organics like overnight :eek:

Thanks for your incite on the BRS mini and the RS Reef Spec.

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that some carbons can help to actually increase PO4. I don't want that nor does anyone else. Can anybody tell me if there's any truth to carbon increasing phosphates? Thanks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that some carbons can help to actually increase PO4. I don't want that nor does anyone else. Can anybody tell me if there's any truth to carbon increasing phosphates? Thanks.
Lol,

ROX :rolleyes: does when it starts leaching out organics after it been fully exhausted :D

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do you think most carbons will not increase phosphates as long as it's changed out every week or two weeks maximum?
I don't think good GAC does, but I could be corrected.

BRS ROX is good stuff. Just be careful with it and change often.

That post was a joke. I feel about anything that can absorb can leach back when it has been exhausted.

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think good GAC does, but I could be corrected.

BRS ROX is good stuff. Just be careful with it and change often.

That post was a joke. I feel about anything that can absorb can leach back when it has been exhausted.

Interesting. I've been struggling with .16 phosphate even what the heck my GFO Reactor running but have left my carbon for over two months. Will switch out and let y'all know what happens. FYI so far everything has been crushing even with high phosphates - I've been dosing VC every day but noticed by KH was spiking to 12 so I cut back a bit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've been struggling with .16 phosphate even what the heck my GFO Reactor running but have left my carbon for over two months. Will switch out and let y'all know what happens. FYI so far everything has been crushing even with high phosphates - I've been dosing VC every day but noticed by KH was spiking to 12 so I cut back a bit.
I'm on the opposite side, phos = .015 about half of what I'd like. (lol) I don't have a spec of hair algae.
I do have a very small fish bio-load and fish food has phosphates in it.
Since my organics stay low I feed RS Reef Energy.
But I'm like you. My SPS colors, health and growth has been great.

If your reef looks great then I would not tinker too much. Every reef is different.

I shoot for RH-F's ideal #'s but sometimes you can tinker too much and too fast you can shock your corals from what they've gotten used to.

Let us know if changing your carbon out more often makes a difference. I truly don't know if old leaching carbon can cause phos to rise.

I tumble Rowaphos and use a low dose but change it out every two weeks.

I've never left my carbon in for two months.

What is VC dosing?

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the opposite side, phos = .015 about half of what I'd like. (lol) I don't have a spec of hair algae.
I do have a very small fish bio-load and fish food has phosphates in it.
Since my organics stay low I feed RS Reef Energy.
But I'm like you. My SPS colors, health and growth has been great.

If your reef looks great then I would not tinker too much. Every reef is different.

I shoot for RH-F's ideal #'s but sometimes you can tinker too much and too fast you can shock your corals from what they've gotten used to.

Let us know if changing your carbon out more often makes a difference. I truly don't know if old leaching carbon can cause phos to rise.

I tumble Rowaphos and use a low dose but change it out every two weeks.

I've never left my carbon in for two months.

What is VC dosing?

Regards, GoVols

The tank def seems happiest I've ever seen it. Good call on slow changes going to test tomorrow before I swap carbon and see what I'm at. My NO3 has been at zero since I've used Bacto Balls and my tank is LPS / Softies and Zoas -which seem to handle higher Pho and KH. VC is Vitamin C. I've also been dosing reef roids and poly extended every two days but cut that back because of my Phosphate being stuck at .16. At this point I'm going to monitor coral health and growth and test and continue to feed.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank def seems happiest I've ever seen it. Good call on slow changes going to test tomorrow before I swap carbon and see what I'm at. My NO3 has been at zero since I've used Bacto Balls and my tank is LPS / Softies and Zoas -which seem to handle higher Pho and KH. VC is Vitamin C. I've also been dosing reef roids and poly extended every two days but cut that back because of my Phosphate being stuck at .16. At this point I'm going to monitor coral health and growth and test and continue to feed.
Fish food has phos. in it so I'm feeding a little more and multiple times a day to see if phos. will rinse. I'm feeding flake food because it has more phos. in it than frozen food.

Nitrates have been hanging around 3-4 ppm. Would not mind if they rose up a tad too.

I'm not having to carbon dose and that's one less thing. Been using the Red Sea colors program and very happy with that too.

Not sweating it :D

Patients, and time will tell if phos. comes up :)

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the downsides of running too much carbon?
I can say this.
Your reef gets use to your organic load and lets say you've been running regular GAC. Then you switch over to say BRS ROX and put in a big dose. That stuff will strip out most of the organics very fast a starve your corals from low organics and you could see some of your LPS bleach out or melt away from starvation and the quick change.

I used to think I could run as much GAC as I wanted. Well, (lol) BRS ROX changed my thoughts about that theory. :eek: It's really good stuff but is very aggressive. :)

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food has phos. in it so I'm feeding a little more and multiple times a day to see if phos. will rinse. I'm feeding flake food because it has more phos. in it than frozen food.

Nitrates have been hanging around 3-4 ppm. Would not mind if they rose up a tad too.

I'm not having to carbon dose and that's one less thing. Been using the Red Sea colors program and very happy with that too.

Not sweating it :D

Patients, and time will tell if phos. comes up :)

Seems we have Opposite issues as far as Pho goes. Most of what I read says have some (5-10) NO3 and little to lie Pho. I have 0 NO3 and .16 Pho. Most of the stuff I read says .16 Pho can be an issue but I have low to no algae issues and tank seems happy. I'm mostly worried about browning but colors are popping. Guess it's just watch and maintain.

medusala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say this.
Your reef gets use to your organic load and lets say you've been running regular GAC. Then you switch over to say BRS ROX and put in a big dose. That stuff will strip out most of the organics very fast a starve your corals from low organics and you could see some of your LPS bleach out or melt away from starvation and the quick change.

I used to think I could run as much GAC as I wanted. Well, (lol) BRS ROX changed my thoughts about that theory. :eek: It's really good stuff but is very aggressive. :)

Good to know. I just got some BRS ROX. I'll stick with the recommended dosage of 1 tbps per 10 gallons for now.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems we have Opposite issues as far as Pho goes. Most of what I read says have some (5-10) NO3 and little to lie Pho. I have 0 NO3 and .16 Pho. Most of the stuff I read says .16 Pho can be an issue but I have low to no algae issues and tank seems happy. I'm mostly worried about browning but colors are popping. Guess it's just watch and maintain.
This is what I use (AS A GUIDE).
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae needs ALL of the following: a source of N (ammonia or nitrate, for example), a source of P (typically inorganic phosphate), a variety of trace elements such as iron, light, freedom from excessive herbivores, and a place to grow.

Take ANY ONE of those away and algae won't be a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do you think most carbons will not increase phosphates as long as it's changed out every week or two weeks maximum?

Carbon intended for aquaria is not generally a significant source of phosphate. The misguided tests where you put a bunch of GAC in a little bit of water and see substantial phosphate are not indicative that there is any concern. Folks forget the massive dilution effect when put into a reef tank. Certainly good quality brands are not.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back