Changing out sand bed on a established sps tank?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Cassklar, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Cassklar

Cassklar Well-Known Member

As the title states I have gotten sick of my existing sugar size sand bed in my sps tank I would like to know if anyone can give me some advice on changing it out while not destroying my sps. The existing sandbed is about 2 inches thick it gets blown all over the place so I would like to go to heavier courser sand anybody have any input it would be appreciative
    Thanks

2. TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would just siphon it out during a WC and focus on the areas that get blown out then replace with new courser grade live or well rinsed using a plastic bag or cup to deposit it where you want it. I just added some Old School crushed coral to these areas which pretty much eliminated the sandstorms.

Cheers, Todd

3. ValorG

ValorG Well-Known Member

Siphon out small sections of the old sand. Never take it all out at once. You can use a large diameter funnel and pvc pipe to put in the new sand where you want it without much of a mess.

4. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

You can use Tupperware bins to keep them separate as you slowly add one and remove the other.

Another way is to just add more and more of the new over time and scoop both out and sift them apart, then put the bigger back in.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

So, what did you decide and how is it going?