Changing out sand

MSD60178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the reefing hobby for about 5 years now and have FOWLR and fresh water tanks since I was young. Anyway I have never been told or read that I should change out my sand every now and then, a little at a time. So I thought I would see y'alls thoughts are on changing sand beds out from time to time.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have done it when I change tanks. Sometimes then I just Rinse it out in 5 gal buckets. If you have a shallow sand bed you can just clean some of it when you do water changes. If you have a deep sand bed you want to be careful desturbing it.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just replace a small section at a time. There is a lot of beneficial bacteria in there.

LPSGUY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt change the sand at all. If you're going to do anything just add a thin layer on top or where you need this. Get a plastic tube and slowly poor it to the bottom so it doesnt cloud the water. Changing out sand leads to algae blooms because your stirring up all the gunk that's starting to break down in the sand.

OP
OP
M

MSD60178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt change the sand at all. If you're going to do anything just add a thin layer on top or where you need this. Get a plastic tube and slowly poor it to the bottom so it doesnt cloud the water. Changing out sand leads to algae blooms because your stirring up all the gunk that's starting to break down in the sand.

Thats what I thought my thinking is just leave it in there and don't mess with let the sandshifters do what they do and just leave it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back