Cheaper to build or buy?

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out a frag tank and I am curious which will be cheaper to do. I want to use acrylic as I have never had one before and would like to try it out. My question however is, which is cheaper? To buy a custom made one or build my own?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always cheaper to build your own. Although the quality may not be as good depending on you skillz!

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest problem that I have is that I dont have a table saw... I would have to have pieces precut for me... or try to find a locals to use...

bmac16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a router? ....you are going to need to finish the edges of the acrylic if not the tank will not have a very strong bond

edit: btw what is the size of the tank you are wanting? ...table saws arent that expensive, try to find a used one around your area. even brand new decent ones only run 200-300. you will probably pay that in just your acrylic if not more

Last edited:

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my sump I used a table saw and sanded the edges to get a smooth finished edge before gluing. If you haven't worked with acrylic before Id look at myreefcreations acrylic tanks. Building one with no bubbles in the seams can be tough, and being a display I would think you would rather spend a little more to get it right.

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just planning on building a small frag tank, but I ended up purchasing a 20 long and I will be doing some nice mods to it to make it a nice little all in one... I will be posting pics soon hopefully...

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will def. post some pics when I am done with the build... it is taking a little longer than I would have liked simply due to my long vacation I just got back from... I hope to get most all of it done by tomorrow evening. So far it looks extremely clean and is more than worthy of being turned into a small display tank in the future.

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all good... I have had one before... I love the dimensions for some reason.

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just trying to decide on how many chambers that I should put in the rear chamber. Currently I am planning on just two but after further thought a third might be needed.

OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how much everyone loves crappy little paint drawings but here is what I had originally planned on the left and what I was thinking about doing on the right... the black circle is supposed to represent a bag of carbon, the brown is live rock, the green is chaeto, and the small rectangular piece in the pic on the right is filter floss. Please provide me your input!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
BigRed

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chumlee!!!

Lol yep you know it... he has to be one of thee funniest people I have ever seen on tv and I am glad someone realized who it was ;)

The obvious premise behind the additional chamber is to add some forced filtration rather than simply passive filtration. Since this tank is going to be skimmerless I figure the more filtration the better off I will be.

Last edited:

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yep you know it... he has to be one of thee funniest people I have ever seen on tv and I am glad someone realized who it was ;)

No matter what they paid, they could never find someone better than him :xd:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back