Chiller Size

Bracka345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

Is there an advantage or disadvantage of going with a chiller that bigger than required?

Reason I ask, I specked out a chiller on JBj website and they recommend a 1/5hp chiller for my 190 gallon system which is a 150 gallon display and 40 gallon sump, but I've found good deals on a 1/4 hp and also on a 1/3hp.

Can anyone shed some info on this please. I live in the Cayman Islands so it gets pretty hot here also.

Thanks

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I used there chiller calculator and they recommend the 1/5hp. Was just curious if there would be any disadvantages going with a bigger chiller.
A chiller that is too large will cycle the compressor more causing early premature wear

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of the chillers cooling capacity also relies on the tanks surrounding environment. Does the room have a steady temprature theough out the day or does it fluctuate. How is the environment during the summer months? A stable ambient room temprature with adequate ventilation goes a long way towards helping the chiller do its job. If you live in a poorly insulated home then you might want to consider getting the next size up.

OP
OP
Bracka345

Bracka345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of the chillers cooling capacity also relies on the tanks surrounding environment. Does the room have a steady temprature theough out the day or does it fluctuate. How is the environment during the summer months? A stable ambient room temprature with adequate ventilation goes a long way towards helping the chiller do its job. If you live in a poorly insulated home then you might want to consider getting the next size up.

Ok Thanks. I live in the Caribbean and it gets pretty hot here in the summer time. Actually it's hot here all year round lol. I run central Ac in my house. During the day the temp in my house is 80-85 since no one is at home and 78-80 in the nights.

OP
OP
Bracka345

Bracka345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should I take in consideration that it won't be 150 gallons since there will be roughly 100lbs of rock in the tank?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also check the max flow rates the chiller is rated for...
The max flow rate is equivalent to the cooling capacity for a drop at a specific temperature.
Sizing a chillers flow rate has not much to do with maximum drop in temperature

OP
OP
Bracka345

Bracka345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After researching a bit more I think I will go to the 1/4hp since I will be adding a 3rd light.

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max flow rate is equivalent to the cooling capacity for a drop at a specific temperature.
Sizing a chillers flow rate has not much to do with maximum drop in temperature

yes I understand that, but I'm just referring to flow rate. Unless you're running a separate pump for it, it may have a big impact on your return rate if its not big enough for flow regardless of it being big enough for the drop in temperature you need.

OP
OP
Bracka345

Bracka345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I understand that, but I'm just referring to flow rate. Unless you're running a separate pump for it, it may have a big impact on your return rate if its not big enough for flow regardless of it being big enough for the drop in temperature you need.
I'm fairly new to this but I plan to use my Vectra L1 return pump to all supply water flow for the chiller.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back