Chloroquine phosphate

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For qt my 2 clowns, i dosed cp, but one of the clown has stopped eating and stays at one place. They have been treated for fungus, so before going to new tank, i felt like dosing cp to get rid of ick if any. After removing the old medi via carbon and wc, i kept tge tank without any medi. Both clowns were eating well, but after dosing cp, 1 clown has stopped eating. Its been 3 days, i also tried garlic, but its yet not eating. What can be the reason? Should i use carbon and remove cp? It stays at the top at one place.

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another shipment coming in today, Going to split them up into 2 QTs One I will be treating with CP and and Prazipro LAter and the other I think I may try the TTM and Prazipro So my question is what on my list should avoid the CP

CN-73954 SW - Whitecheek Tang (Hawaii) - Medium, Qty:1, Price: $89.99 each = $89.99
Blue Tang
CN-74760 SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Small, Qty:1, Price: $34.99 each = $34.99

Im thinking the 3 tangs in a 40 with TTM unless you think I can get all 3 Tangs in a 20L That would save me a bit of SALT

Does everything else look ok for the CP

CN-71718 SW - Canary Blenny (Fiji), Qty:1, Price: $10.49 each = $10.49
CN-39364 SW - One Spot Foxface Medium, Qty:1, Price: $31.99 each = $31.99
CN-80592 SW - Orange Spotted Goby (Indonesia), Qty:2, Price: $10.99 each = $21.98
CN-68221 SW - Copperband Butterflyfish (Indonesia) - Small, Qty:1, Price: $34.99 each = $34.99
1118161100 Diver's DenLongnose Hawkfish, Qty:1, Price: $39.99 each = $39.99

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another shipment coming in today, Going to split them up into 2 QTs One I will be treating with CP and and Prazipro LAter and the other I think I may try the TTM and Prazipro So my question is what on my list should avoid the CP

CN-73954 SW - Whitecheek Tang (Hawaii) - Medium, Qty:1, Price: $89.99 each = $89.99
Blue Tang

Im thinking the 3 tangs in a 40 with TTM unless you think I can get all 3 Tangs in a 20L That would save me a bit of SALT

CN-80592 SW - Orange Spotted Goby (Indonesia), Qty:2, Price: $10.99 each = $21.98
CN-68221 SW - Copperband Butterflyfish (Indonesia) - Small, Qty:1, Price: $34.99 each = $34.99

The only thing on that list that could be an issue for CP is the blue tang and that's only if it's the "dori" style. From what I've read, everything else should be ok.

My brain is saying the butterfly might be an issue but I'm thinking it's lying to me.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Yellow and Whitecheeck handle CP?

Yes; butterflies are OK in CP as well.

Its been 3 days, i also tried garlic, but its yet not eating. What can be the reason? Should i use carbon and remove cp? It stays at the top at one place.
Just like with humans, a particular fish may not handle a medication as well as others of its same kind. When this happens we must seek out an alternative treatment for this one individual. So, the first thing I would do is move this one clownfish into non-medicated water to see if he resumes eating.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Tang

Looks good as far as everyone tollerating CP except for the Blue tang (which I"m assuming means a Regal/Hippo Tang). I wouldn't put three tangs in a 20L unless they are very small.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes; butterflies are OK in CP as well.

Just like with humans, a particular fish may not handle a medication as well as others of its same kind. When this happens we must seek out an alternative treatment for this one individual. So, the first thing I would do is move this one clownfish into non-medicated water to see if he resumes eating.

I have added carbon today to remove cp from water.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shifted it to another tank, after watching closely, both its eyes are popped out. It lies on side for a few seconds, then getsup and again swims a bit. Its loosing strwngth. I just dont know whats happening to it.. feeling very sad watching it like this.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never combined those two before, but both are useful antibiotics.
Its still alive but lying on the side. Swims round n round n thrn again lies on side.. both the eyes are popped out. The other one is still healthy n eating. I still dont understand what mus have happened.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i euthanize it using the vodka method? They eyes are popped out and still laying on side, looks more weak.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i euthanize it using the vodka method? They eyes are popped out and still laying on side, looks more weak.

I would allow a few more days for the antibiotics to work before considering euthanization.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would allow a few more days for the antibiotics to work before considering euthanization.
Why are both the eyes popping out? I was reading about it, and came across a thread, tht even an air bubble can cause this. Is tht true?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are both the eyes popping out? I was reading about it, and came across a thread, tht even an air bubble can cause this. Is tht true?

typically it's an infection... could have started out in one eye and spread to the other, or both eyes were infected due to parasites being present. Either way, you want to give the meds time to work. It's been said many times that antibiotics work slowly in fish. You have to have patience.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
typically it's an infection... could have started out in one eye and spread to the other, or both eyes were infected due to parasites being present. Either way, you want to give the meds time to work. It's been said many times that antibiotics work slowly in fish. You have to have patience.
Well i treated it for fungus using ur method. It was absolutely fine, fungus also got cured, as im setting up new tank, i removed the meds using carbon n wc, and after about a week of no meds, i added cp after a wc. Since then it had stopped eating and stayed in the same place at the corner top. The other fish is absolutely perfect. So after about 5 days, it stayed at the bottom, so i shifted it to a seperate tank and added furan 2 and minocycline (as i read maracyn2 is good for pop eye) the tank has only sw and an airstone, tht i on for a few mints daily, as its become so weak, tht the fish feels more stressed and it foams at the top.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank has only sw and an airstone, tht i on for a few mints daily, as its become so weak, tht the fish feels more stressed and it foams at the top.

You only have the airstone on for a few minutes every day? This is a big problem. You can't have these meds in the water and NOT oxygenate the water. The meds suck the O2 out of the water anyway and you have to compensate for that. You need a small powerhead in there or to leave the airstone on all the time. You'll also need to be sure ammonia doesn't become a problem since you have no filter on this tank.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only have the airstone on for a few minutes every day? This is a big problem. You can't have these meds in the water and NOT oxygenate the water. The meds suck the O2 out of the water anyway and you have to compensate for that. You need a small powerhead in there or to leave the airstone on all the time. You'll also need to be sure ammonia doesn't become a problem since you have no filter on this tank.
Its jus not eating, so thought it wont be necessary. Kool i switched it back on.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i treated it for fungus using ur method. It was absolutely fine, fungus also got cured, as im setting up new tank, i removed the meds using carbon n wc, and after about a week of no meds, i added cp after a wc. Since then it had stopped eating and stayed in the same place at the corner top. The other fish is absolutely perfect. So after about 5 days, it stayed at the bottom, so i shifted it to a seperate tank and added furan 2 and minocycline (as i read maracyn2 is good for pop eye) the tank has only sw and an airstone, tht i on for a few mints daily, as its become so weak, tht the fish feels more stressed and it foams at the top.

A better combo for bacterial popeye is erythromycin + minocycline.

Back