Chloroquine phosphate

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I plan on getting new fish mid-April but I want CP first before I buy them. Right now my current fish are pretty healthy so I doubt the vet will write me a prescription.

It's almost like getting the cops to arrest your abusive husband; they won't do it until you're almost dead.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does anybody have any experience with jawfish and chloroquine phosphate? One of the fish I'm looking for and plan to treat with CP is a Yellowhead Jawfish. I'm not sure what the best way to qt and treat these guys, since they really need sand to burrow in. But that would affect cp and I have no way to measure it I'm thinking of using vertical pvc pipes for them to hide in like a burrow but I don't know if that would be enough or if they would need some kind of rocks to move around. I was thinking of maybe using some glass marbles or beads or something to replicate gravel that wouldn't absorb the CP. Or possibly using sand and just using a higher dose of cp but that seems risky.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does anybody have any experience with jawfish and chloroquine phosphate? One of the fish I'm looking for and plan to treat with CP is a Yellowhead Jawfish.

I've successfully used CP on BSJ and Yellowhead Jawfish. Dosage was 60mg/gal to compensate for the sand. You can put some dry sand in a glass Pyrex bowl or in a corner of the QT for them.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully used CP on BSJ and Yellowhead Jawfish. Dosage was 60mg/gal to compensate for the sand. You can put some dry sand in a glass Pyrex bowl or in a corner of the QT for them.
How much sand did you use and what size tank?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm doing 40 gallons of water, the CP dosage at 60mg/gal would be 2.4grams?.. Correct?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Hey humble, question on storing the chloroquine, is it best to put it in the fridge to reduce overtime degrading of the active ingredients?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Hey humble, question on storing the chloroquine, is it best to put it in the fridge to reduce overtime degrading of the active ingredients?

No, I would just store it in a cool, dry place away from light.

I don't know what impact refrigerated temps would have on the drug. Could be positive, could be something negative.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can get a prescription will most pharmacies have chloroquine?

Some large pharmacies might keep it in stock, but others will need to order it from a compounding pharmacy.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both Prime & Amquel in conjunction with CP, with no ill effects. I haven't used stress coat since my freshwater days. :wink:

Aare you still using prime with CP? I read somewhere not to use prime but then I've read its okay too. Not sure which is right.

30 days is a long time for ammonia to build up.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aare you still using prime with CP? I read somewhere not to use prime but then I've read its okay too. Not sure which is right.

30 days is a long time for ammonia to build up.

You can use Prime with CP. However, IMO that's still no substitute for a good bio-filter in QT and water changes, as needed.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Prime with CP. However, IMO that's still no substitute for a good bio-filter in QT and water changes, as needed.

Ah, I was under the impression bio-filter causes problems with CP.. and thats why everyone says to use a bare-bone new QT with no bio.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back