Critique my Radion schedule

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point where I'm ready to do some experimenting with my radion schedule as I think I am roasting my coral. Comparing my schedule with the Coral Lab SPS AB+ schedule I notice a few things. I run a single Gen 3 XR30W on a 60 gallon cube tank.

1. They run higher levels of Green/Red. I've always had the assumption that higher levels of red/green will fuel algae and not be beneficial to zooxanthellae. I don't think increasing these will have much of a positive impact for me.

2. They run their cool white at 50%. I've been running mine at 100%. Visually I like the look (never been a fan of too blue) but maybe this is giving me too much PAR.

3. Their photoperiod is 9 hours with a consistent level for most. Mine is 14 hours with a steady incline and decline. I could always shorten this but I tend to feed at odd/inconsistent times so the longer period helps. I guess I could always have the start and end levels very low.

For PAR I borrowed an Apogee meter and got about 250-300 at the peak of my rockwork and about 200 or so midlevel. LPS have never been extremely happy for me so I'm starting with the lights to see if I can get things to improve.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature, the curve up to and down from the peak are much steeper, with sunrise and sunset taking about 30min each. Dunno that it'll matter a lot, so feel free to experiment. :)

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Lab AB+ has blues and 'UV' at 100% and everything else, including whites, at 24%. I'm not sure where you got the idea that cool white is run at 50%.

They also run the peak for 7 hours with a fairly rapid ramp up and down.

Although red and green are run higher than you are running them, it's worth keeping in mind that the lights have far fewer red and green diodes than blue, so there is already a fairly balanced spectrum based on the number of diodes for each colour.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Lab AB+ has blues and 'UV' at 100% and everything else, including whites, at 24%. I'm not sure where you got the idea that cool white is run at 50%.

They also run the peak for 7 hours with a fairly rapid ramp up and down.

Although red and green are run higher than you are running them, it's worth keeping in mind that the lights have far fewer red and green diodes than blue, so there is already a fairly balanced spectrum based on the number of diodes for each colour.
Yeah sorry that was a typo by me about the 50%.

also the uv is ran at 100 percent his is turned down to 50. what is the purpose of running it lower
No real purpose I guess I just am not sure how valuable UV is to the spectrum given that the older fixtures didn't have it.

Back