Dawn's 56g memorial seahorse tank!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Dawn and I had been keeping a pair of erectus seahorses. Unfortunately a poor decision on my part caused my stallion Adam, to get popeye and die.

That got me thinking that a bare bottom tank would be less maintenance and probably healthier for the ponies. The problem is I do not like the looks of bare bottom tanks. I pondered the possibility of overhauling my tank and painting the bottom. That would be so labor intensive however, that I decided to see if it was feasible to consider a new tank. When I found that a 56 gallon column tank is 30" long and a similar footprint as my current tank, I got very excited. I can continue to use my light, hob overflow and other equipment. With an additional 20 gallons I cam keep 4 ponies. If I paint the bottom to simulate sand and I paint the back wall a lighter color the ponies will more likely sport lighter colors, like yellows, whites and maybe even orange-ish.

I did not have to think about it too long and have decided to go for it. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses are my goal. When I have kept a healthy, thriving fish and Reef tank for 6 months my husband will help me build the custom stand I want and I can get seahorses. :):):) I can't wait. I would love to pick your brain. Would you find me on face.book? Heather Weekley. If not I'll catch you on here

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept about 8 erectus in a 56 column it's plenty deep enough. I've had the yellow and also the orange there awsome. The black and white ones are stunning also.
Thanks for the response Pugfishluv3. I have only been keeping seahorses for 2 years, tomorrow actually. My current tank is only a 36 gallon so I only had the 1 pair and they were both brown. He was yellowish brown and she is reddish brown.

Were your ponies captive bred and if so, where did you get them?
I would love to have yellow, orange and black and white.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses are my goal. When I have kept a healthy, thriving fish and Reef tank for 6 months my husband will help me build the custom stand I want and I can get seahorses. :):):) I can't wait. I would love to pick your brain. Would you find me on face.book? Heather Weekley. If not I'll catch you on here
Hi Heather. Seahorses are great but they have some special needs that must be addressed to have long term success with them. I will be glad to let you pick my brain when you are ready. I really don't do facebook so this is probably the best way to contact me. I highly recommend a free online seahorse course by seahorse.com. Its very thorough and you will be equipped to keep ponies when you are finished. You do it at your own pace and you could even start it now. They do imply that you should buy their seahorses but its not mandatory.

Pugfishluv3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were captive bred i ordered em from ocean rider there awsome. They sale the orange and yellow erectus under the name sunburst. I had mine breed in my 56 it's got a nice depth like ponies need and love.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were captive bred i ordered em from ocean rider there awsome. They sale the orange and yellow erectus under the name sunburst. I had mine breed in my 56 it's got a nice depth like ponies need and love.
I had a feeling that yours were OR ponies. Mine are too but they were just the regular mustangs. I really love OR's pintos but the price tag is a bit staggering for me, ha ha! And of course there is no guarantee a pony will stay that color. I do love how healthy and robust OR's ponies are.
I have been looking at Alyssa's ponies at seahorse savvy. I could drive there and pick them up and save shipping stress. They look robust on Pacificeast aquaculture's sight. They ship for Alyssa.

Pugfishluv3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the Pinos are my favorite as well but yeah I can't justify the cost lol I don't think hubby wold be very happy about that one lol :eek: seahorse coral has the black and white ones they have some interesting colors as well.

Pugfishluv3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way ocean rider has an awsome course on sea horses as well. It was run by one of the wetwebmedia.com guys.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Heather. Seahorses are great but they have some special needs that must be addressed to have long term success with them. I will be glad to let you pick my brain when you are ready. I really don't do facebook so this is probably the best way to contact me. I highly recommend a free online seahorse course by seahorse.com. Its very thorough and you will be equipped to keep ponies when you are finished. You do it at your own pace and you could even start it now. They do imply that you should buy their seahorses but its not mandatory.
Thank you so much for this info!!I c ant wait to delve in. I'd start tonight but my husband is ready for bed. I am so excited. I take so much information from this forum! I wish I had something to give but I'm not as save as all of you. Good night and have a good day
Heather

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this info!!I c ant wait to delve in. I'd start tonight but my husband is ready for bed. I am so excited. I take so much information from this forum! I wish I had something to give but I'm not as save as all of you. Good night and have a good day
Heather
3 years ago, I did not have anything to offer in regards to keeping seahorses either. Now, although I still consider myself a newbie, I do have 2 years experience to share.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, I painted both the floor and the back wall and I am pretty happy with it. Since this tank is a tribute to my stallion that passed I have highlighted him in a mural on the back wall. Its different I know, but I was ready for something different.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ok, I painted both the floor and the back wall and I am pretty happy with it. Since this tank is a tribute to my stallion that passed I have highlighted him in a mural on the back wall. Its different I know, but I was ready for something different.

That's really cool!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back