Detox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in the detox product. Could anyone tell me what Metals it does and does not bind?

Also I see the use of Al based PO4 remover is preferred until Al levels build up. Then they switch to GFO for a month then go back. Could someone tell me what the benefit of the Al based product is? Thank you. I really like this approach. I have read as much as I can but sending emails with questions hasn't worked well. I'm sure they get to many to answer. Forget about the hate mail LOL.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link is broke. I think I did read some guides Triton. Does everyone here use the plants too? I wanted to try it on a nano tank.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The triton elementz include many trace elements for the benefit of the algae in the refugium. In the absence of macroalgae to consume the trace elements, nuisance algae may take advantage of those nutrients and flourish.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read you only add them until a KH of 8 is achieved? Then Stop? If they are not being consumed then no need to add?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but as your tank consumes the alk and you replace elements 1, 2, 3a+3b in equal parts, some of the trace elements included are in addition to what corals require and are there for the benefit of the macroalgae, is my understanding. In the absence of macroalgaes to consume these additional trace elements they can for 1 accumulate to higher levels if you follow the no water change part of trition method, and 2 benefit any nuisance algae in your tank. I am not an expert on trition method, only 4 months into using elements, but this is my understanding of the macro algae-trace element relationship. The algae in my DT seemed to appreciate the micronutrients provided when I switched to triton. The nice thing about triton is with regular testing you will know if anything begins to accumulate and you can do a water change to bring them down. Much easier for your nano than my 155:) Lower phosphates also will add in the battle against nuisance algae as well. Just some factors to consider.
I too am curious about the detox and what exactly it removes. Perhaps @Triton US can enlighten us.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plus one interested in the answers too. I have a calcium reactor so don't dose but still want to try detox and pure salt like every month or two to clean tank.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually emailed the same Q's a few more to the German and US branch around a month ago. A long time ago they used to answer but now days they seem too busy. Probably very popular. Makes it hard to take the plunge and buy there stuff though :( Every time I see him talk I learn something new and exciting. I wish they had a place to let all that info out.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If this takes out more than copper than I want it.

Just for copper won't help as there are other products.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat for an answer to this one. I am led to believe it removes all heavy metals, including copper, and in my case, aluminum.
The Al based products IMO do a better job controlling phosphates than GFO based products. (That statement could start a flame war)
Much easier and cleaner to use at least for me. But the downside is they leach Al over time. I used very small amounts of phosguard over the past year in my tanks and the first test result I received said I had high levels of Aluminum. There is no other source, except the phosguard.
I have since switched to a GFO. I would consider the detox, but unless there is a definitive answer to what it binds, I'm not putting it in my reef.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. In the Walstad book she says metals are bound by Humic Substances which is what the description says this product is. I don't think she says which ones are and are not. There is one metal he (Forgot the Triton Guys name) mentioned during MACNA that he can't bind but I don't remember what it is.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat for an answer to this one. I am led to believe it removes all heavy metals, including copper, and in my case, aluminum.
The Al based products IMO do a better job controlling phosphates than GFO based products. (That statement could start a flame war)
Much easier and cleaner to use at least for me. But the downside is they leach Al over time. I used very small amounts of phosguard over the past year in my tanks and the first test result I received said I had high levels of Aluminum. There is no other source, except the phosguard.
I have since switched to a GFO. I would consider the detox, but unless there is a definitive answer to what it binds, I'm not putting it in my reef.
I have heard him say he uses Al based remover most of the time but when Al gets high he switches to GFO for 1 month and it removes the Al. So I guess GFO removes Al but he never says what metal that the Al based product removes that GFO does not, or why he likes it so much.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree to. AL based products are easier to load in and out of reactor.

Also are more aggressive than gfo and cheaper too.

I have been using phos guard and love it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. In the Walstad book she says metals are bound by Humic Substances which is what the description says this product is. I don't think she says which ones are and are not. There is one metal he (Forgot the Triton Guys name) mentioned during MACNA that he can't bind but I don't remember what it is.

Humic acids are not a single thing, but a whole class of materials, so one may not be able to attribute properties of one set of materials exactly to another.

Anything with a negative charge (like humic acids in seawater) is capable of binding most metals. The important question is whether they do so usefully in the context of vastly higher concentrations of calcium, magnesium, sodium, etc.), which all compete for binding to the negatively charged sites.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRITON DETOX 100ML
$ 35.00

Triton Detox- 100ml- Detox is a product that consists of a combination of different organics. They are highly effective at binding heavy metals, especially copper, and this will enable these metals to be exported through activated carbon. This product is especially useful for reef tanks that report a concentration of 15ppb or higher of free copper. This is considered to be the max limit for corals. Above 15 ppb, the corals can start to bleach and polyp extension will be limited. Common sources of copper in reef tanks come from a faulty pump, broken wiring, biopellets, or from the tap water not being properly filtered by the RO/DI system. To use the product, start by removing the carbon from your system, keep the skimmer running and run the detox for 3 days. During this phase the tank water will stay brownish in color from the organics present in the detox. This is harmless to the corals. Once fresh carbon is placed back in the system the brown color will be removed along with the heavy metals that are bound to it. This is the only product on the market that we know of that will remove copper down to undetectable levels on the Triton test. Please consult your Triton ICP-OES test results for the specific dosing requirements for your reef system. Dosage is 3ml per 100l of tank volume/ 11.5 ml per 100 gallons of tank volume.

vm70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard him say he uses Al based remover most of the time but when Al gets high he switches to GFO for 1 month and it removes the Al. So I guess GFO removes Al but he never says what metal that the Al based product removes that GFO does not, or why he likes it so much.

I've been also using Triton for about 6 months. I initially used GFO, then switched to Phosguard, then back to GFO. Based on three ICP analysis, I got high Barium after using GFO. After switching to PhosGuard, Barium went down and Aluminium went up.
I haven't noticed however any bad effect on corals in either case.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been also using Triton for about 6 months. I initially used GFO, then switched to Phosguard, then back to GFO. Based on three ICP analysis, I got high Barium after using GFO. After switching to PhosGuard, Barium went down and Aluminium went up.
I haven't noticed however any bad effect on corals in either case.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like Seachem has Aluminum coated GFO now too. I wonder how that would act.

OP
OP
jarrod0987

jarrod0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to. AL based products are easier to load in and out of reactor.

Also are more aggressive than gfo and cheaper too.

I have been using phos guard and love it.
Do you just mean it is less dusty? What is size and shape of the pieces like? Does it need to tumble? I always consider trying it out but I always have GFO laying around so I never do :)

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just mean it is less dusty? What is size and shape of the pieces like? Does it need to tumble? I always consider trying it out but I always have GFO laying around so I never do :)

It doesn't need to tumble. Like little tictacs. Rinse well, fill reactor, run at low flow with NO tumble. Done.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back