Did I reach the ugly phase of my tank during the algae cycle? Or is it just dirty

viviana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5594.JPG

Tank is 5 weeks old
Water parameters are all in check

Is this the ugly phase people talk about ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!

So...I just wait it out lol how long is it gonna be brown for? Should I even bother cleaning it ?
Keep up on the glass so it doesn't make you crazy looking at it.... Keep up on the water changes too. Make sure your filters are pulling out lots of funk...
Could be a month or several. Or less really. EVERY tank is different. IMO Live rock tanks have fewer problems with the ugly phase as its been started with a pretty good Biological filter. Dry rock starts with none.

OP
OP
viviana

viviana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up on the glass so it doesn't make you crazy looking at it.... Keep up on the water changes too. Make sure your filters are pulling out lots of funk...
Could be a month or several. Or less really. EVERY tank is different. IMO Live rock tanks have fewer problems with the ugly phase as its been started with a pretty good Biological filter. Dry rock starts with none.

Just noticed some green algae also , which is better right???

And I'm wondering if I should upgrade my HOB filter size ... or if that will throw off my whole tank

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed some green algae also , which is better right???

And I'm wondering if I should upgrade my HOB filter size ... or if that will throw off my whole tank
it wont hurt no. But double check in a few days that the hob is full of funk. if its not you'll want to repack the floss sponge so it traps more. The instruction on it are for fresh water..

OP
OP
viviana

viviana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont hurt no. But double check in a few days that the hob is full of funk. if its not you'll want to repack the floss sponge so it traps more. The instruction on it are for fresh water..

floss sponge........? thats the white sponge.right?... oh no lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
floss sponge........? thats the white sponge.right?... oh no lol
Yea, spong and floss, there's different ones. I go cheap.
The sponge is good for bigger pieces, small stuff get through. the smaller holes the smaller the stuff it keeps out.
In my last hob I put carbon on the bottom, the sponge on top and added a strip just under the sponge.

https://www.amazon.com/Value-Bonded-White-Filter-600-square-inches/dp/B00B50UPE0 This stuff. some LFS have it by the giant roll for super cheap.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back