Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I use 8.25% or the yield at 7.85% for the equation?
Please help me with the equation again. Is it .003÷(bleach %) × 120 (gallon tank)= ml 2x daily?
Is this correct?
1487724109924.jpeg

So it seems it would be 0.003/0.0825 x 120 = 4.36mL (twice daily)
If you aren't accounting for rock and other water displacement, I would dose a lower amount, like 4mL. Now take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I haven't even dosed yet. :) I'm just going by what I have read. I will know more next week when I actually dose my own tank. I'm going to start on Friday the 3rd.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems it would be 0.003/0.0825 x 120 = 4.36mL (twice daily)
If you aren't accounting for rock and other water displacement, I would dose a lower amount, like 4mL. Now take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I haven't even dosed yet. :) I'm just going by what I have read. I will know more next week when I actually dose my own tank. I'm going to start on Friday the 3rd.
Adding for sump space i tend to call it a wash and let it ride. The dose has a good buffer for saftey

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487810289885.jpeg
need help wondering if this is dino dealing with bryopsis also just dosed fluconazole yesterday now I'm wondering how I'm gonna get rid of or control the Dino any help would be appreciated

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487810289885.jpeg
need help wondering if this is dino dealing with bryopsis also just dosed fluconazole yesterday now I'm wondering how I'm gonna get rid of or control the Dino any help would be appreciated

One thing at a time. Lol. Looks like green hair algae to me.

It looks like you've got some dino mixed in with the GHA. I'd see if the fluconazole does anything to that algae and then proceed to identifying what type of dino you have by using a microscope.

If the fluconazole doesn't do anything to the algae, I'd go after the dino first instead of the algae. I'd rather have GHA any day than have dino. You may have a tough time with GHA too though. When I was dosing vibrant to see how it worked against my dinos, it seemed to kill back the gha in my overflows. It didn't do anything to the dino though. I'm no expert on any of this, I just do my best and research constantly.

Are you running gfo or any other form of phosphate remover?

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing at a time. Lol. Looks like green hair algae to me.

It looks like you've got some dino mixed in with the GHA. I'd see if the fluconazole does anything to that algae and then proceed to identifying what type of dino you have by using a microscope.

If the fluconazole doesn't do anything to the algae, I'd go after the dino first instead of the algae. I'd rather have GHA any day than have dino. You may have a tough time with GHA too though. When I was dosing vibrant to see how it worked against my dinos, it seemed to kill back the gha in my overflows. It didn't do anything to the dino though. I'm no expert on any of this, I just do my best and research constantly.

Are you running gfo or any other form of phosphate remover?
Yea I try to do alot of research an your def wright try to get rid of one first then work on the next I'm just using carbon in the sump that's all wright now I have it out the sump since I dosed the fluco it's only been a day so I guess I have 13 more to go to see what happens it's a process

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that going on as well and was told ich medicine 4 daily doses with protein skimmer off and no carbon could do the trick [emoji1317]
Keep me posted on the medicine you are using I'm just trying to beat the odds here lol one step at a time

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What "ich medicine" is this that you're referring to?
I believe the one I got is called "Ich Attack" and it mentions dinoflagelites on the bottle as well. I havent started the process yet but Ill let you know if it works. I thought for over a year it was cyanobacteria and tried all kinds of stuff and never got anywhere so hopefully this is the ticket...

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the one I got is called "Ich Attack" and it mentions dinoflagelites on the bottle as well. I havent started the process yet but Ill let you know if it works. I thought for over a year it was cyanobacteria and tried all kinds of stuff and never got anywhere so hopefully this is the ticket...
Ich attack wont do a thing for dinos or ich.. waste of money... would gain more by just dumping hot sauce in tank..lol.. been there done that.. have the t-shirt to prove it :)

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich attack wont do a thing for dinos or ich.. waste of money... would gain more by just dumping hot sauce in tank..lol.. been there done that.. have the t-shirt to prove it :)

That's right. There's no "reef safe" crypto medication. QT with cupramine! Although it would be interesting to find out if bleach eradicated crypto from a system.

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does say that on the directions. I just looked. "Kordon Ich-Attack as an organic herbal treatment is focused in its effectiveness in treating protozoan, fungal, and dinoflagellate infections."

It definitely won't eradicate crypto, and I seriously doubt it will do anything to dino either.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say that on the directions. I just looked. "Kordon Ich-Attack as an organic herbal treatment is focused in its effectiveness in treating protozoan, fungal, and dinoflagellate infections."

It definitely won't eradicate crypto, and I seriously doubt it will do anything to dino either.
I tried it for dinos..before bleach.. Ich-Attack does nothing...but smell bad.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right. There's no "reef safe" crypto medication. QT with cupramine! Although it would be interesting to find out if bleach eradicated crypto from a system.
It killed velvet, tho a form of dino, the same theory could work....im willing to test as soon as i find sn ich infested fish. Problem with ich is its terribly easy to keep under control...

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro doesn't work fully. It has only an 86% success rate of irradiating protists. There are other groups of medicine that have a better success rate, still bleach at present is the best option.

I'd also like to put calm to some fears that Dino's are in every tank.

No they are not. Again this is more aquarium ancedotal theory rather than a science.

My first aquarium setup suffered them. This was built on pure live rock and live sand, of a very good quality.

I'd added no end of copepods, amipods mini stars etc to boost biodiversity.

It did become infested in Dino's.

The second setup was a mixture.of live seeded synthetic and premium Fiji. Same story.

This time it's live synthetic and dry rock, mb7 cycled, with added amipods and copepods. No trace (thank God) of Dino's.

Dino's are no different than anything else you introduce. Be it bryopsis or bristle worms. If they are on the rock or frag, if you don't quarantine or dip well enough. You will contaminate.

Fresh water does kill Dino's based osmotic shock. It will rupture the cell wall. I've read success stories brining sg down to 1.010.

I've stated before my belief (quote my belief) the reasons some blackouts work. I believe it is to do with the users filtration and diversity of critters feeding in dark.

Lights out sends the Dino's in to the water column to seed new areas. Powerful filtration and carnivorous bio diversity over an extended period could very well be the key.

Purging sand from aquarium will prevent a refuge for the cysts.

H202 dosing works on some strains of Dino's but in dosgae a.ounts is insufficient to kill osteo Dino's. If you want to h202 those you need a few hundred ml per litre. But that's fatal to just about everything. How do I know? I tried it.

PS I'm not having a dig here at anyone but there is so much disparity in this hobby, it's almost impossible to find any truth.

So far. Bleach each works.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back