Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@badd yes it was an inch.

Which unless you are applying a dsb an inch is deep enough for most.

I'd ditch the sandbed personally. It's a lot to go through if you are not 100% successful.

You will beat it. Don't lose hope.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more than willing. .. I wouldn't wish dinos on my worst lfs.. lol.. I could not be happier. ..because I sure wasnt blowing dinos of my coral all day..

And in blowing...You spread. Genius really. For us land dwellers it's the perfect get off my rock cure. In reality we are giving it a helping hand.

I know for a fact when I did this it went from patch to tank...

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in blowing...You spread. Genius really. For us land dwellers it's the perfect get off my rock cure. In reality we are giving it a helping hand.

I know for a fact when I did this it went from patch to tank...
Yes agree 100% ...but till you study them.. you dont think you are doing wrong..

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope twilliard gets back to me soon. I am dying to know if my dipping of coral killed the dinos....my own fault if everything would have died but it didnt...and they are all open....and before they got dipped dinos was a major problem on the frags.....

ParadiseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2001.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG

ParadiseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battled Dino for about a month. Now it's getting back to normal. At firts I thought it was cyano and dosed chemiclean but it did nothing. After constant weekly water changes and increasing my water flow by adding a gyre it has resipated. Not sure if the chemiclean work tho.

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive twilliard found dino up to a 1/4 in sand bed. . Believe it is because of the lack of light.. this is not a quote. .just of top of head from reading this or another thread.. my substrate was last place I found active dinos.. I kept stirring during dosing.. dinos are like a std.. and people need to protect them selves....not trying to scare anyone lol.. but I fought for 3 months to kill of that nasty brown snot strings...then I found this thread. .and followed along.. metro did make a dent.. but bleach was my cure..

I'll stir the top layer of sand for sure.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick note and word of precaution on using bleach.
Same as most others, I've been fighting dinos for more than 3 years and have tried everything, I mean it, everything, including resetting my tank (125 gallon mixed reef) with 1 gallon of bleach a year and a half ago... so I won't bore you with that. They still came back some 6 moths ago.
My dinos are mostly in the sand.
Out of desperation, I decided 1 week ago to go for the bleach, using the safe formula (0.003 / %bleach x tank gallons). I should have dosed about 3.5 ml, but playing safe for the fish I went for 2.5 ml, twice a day, early morning, late at night, with lights off.
After dose #4, 5 of my fish just died... only my 2 nemos and yellow tank survived.

Now, this is worth mentioning: I took carbon offline thinking (correctly, I think) carbon would adsorb chlorine, thus weakening the "bleach" effect. But I think I didn't account for the toxins dinos would release when dying... So I actually think it may have been more the dino toxines than the bleach what killed my fish. This is just my theory, I have no way to prove it.

Of course I totally freaked out, stopped dosing bleach, brought carbon back online, even added a bit of Prime to neutralize chlorine and at least my nemos and tang are still alive.

By the way, visually, the dinos took some serious beating. But they are there, so they will come back in a couple of days.

So... long story short, watch of for the toxins when they die in addition to whatever we're pouring to fight them.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good point. I had the same occur (without loss) following a kalk slurry hit. Thankfully I was able to do a water change quickly. What I will say is it smelt terrible.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you reuse sand if you washed it out with fresh water and a tiny amount of bleach?

This isnt something I've tested. If I were to take the approach I would use boiling water WITH CAUTION and avoid breathing in any vapours. Obviously doing this outside. After a few hours to cool, rinse/beach etc and re-rinse.

The boiling water will terminate the cysts. The bleach at this stage may not add anything to it, but hell one thing I do know is to rid this stuff several strategies are better than one.

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt something I've tested. If I were to take the approach I would use boiling water WITH CAUTION and avoid breathing in any vapours. Obviously doing this outside. After a few hours to cool, rinse/beach etc and re-rinse.

The boiling water will terminate the cysts. The bleach at this stage may not add anything to it, but hell one thing I do know is to rid this stuff several strategies are better than one.

Don't Dino cysts explode or die when they come in contact with FW?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has only been a couple issues I had after dosing bleach.. nothing showed while dosing.. only after stopping.. GBTA bleached.. I think the bleach also killed the dinos in the BTA.. no more mini stars...strange green algae(like really short GHA) ... but I did not lose anything... I ran no carbon or GFO.. skimmer was only thing running..

Oshkosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandrieu, did you have a lot (I know, very subjective) of Dino's visible to cause a massive die-off and in turn release a lot of toxins? In general, what would the harm be in keeping the carbon running while dosing?

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandrieu, did you have a lot (I know, very subjective) of Dino's visible to cause a massive die-off and in turn release a lot of toxins? In general, what would the harm be in keeping the carbon running while dosing?
@Oshkosh: yes, subjective, but I would say yes, quite a bit. Mostly in the sand. Not the typical stringy looking dinos with bubbles though but a good carpet over the sand. 100% sure not cyano or diatoms, before you ask. Lights off = sand fairly clean, a couple of hours after lights on = boom! all covered. Ostreos I was told about 1 year ago. Haven't checked again since. Visually they look the same as before I nuked the tank with 1 gallon of bleach (had no corals or fish left by then...). Maybe I should have another look under the microscope, just out of curiosity.

On the activated carbon issue, I see no harm to fish or corals, but the carbon adsorbs chlorine among other things (one of the reason we have carbon blocks in our RO/DI filters, right?), I would think that may weaken or neutralize the bleach. I'm an engineer but not that strong in chemistry, so maybe Randy or one of our other chem nerds can say if this is true or not.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the verdict on Vibrant dosing to these dino challenge tanks here, its been out long enough to make waves here if applicable

why are people still using bleach if Vibrant can kill the dinos (not sure if that's the case, checking w the crowd)

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the verdict on Vibrant dosing to these dino challenge tanks here, its been out long enough to make waves here if applicable

why are people still using bleach if Vibrant can kill the dinos (not sure if that's the case, checking w the crowd)
Vibrant did nothing to dinos in my tank, unfortunately

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back