Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its still getting pretty resounding reviews for bryopsis and valonia, but its accepted target spread is closing. that's a -1 for invasive dinos there.

Oshkosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the verdict on Vibrant dosing to these dino challenge tanks here, its been out long enough to make waves here if applicable

why are people still using bleach if Vibrant can kill the dinos (not sure if that's the case, checking w the crowd)

My verdict on vibrant is the same as Mondrieu, didn't do much and I was dosing twice a week and still have the slimy brown/opaque film on rocks an sand. The only relief I've found was taking each rock out and soak in a hydrogen peroxide solution for 15 mins. Of course the film comes back in several weeks since the pores are in sand, overflow, etc

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vibrant since beginning of November. It took over two months of twice weekly dosing for signs of my dinos to go away. I haven't seen any strings or bubbles in several weeks now. I'm sure they are still in the tank in low numbers somewhere. I had an ostreo variety fwiw.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vibrant since beginning of November. It took over two months of twice weekly dosing for signs of my dinos to go away. I haven't seen any strings or bubbles in several weeks now. I'm sure they are still in the tank in low numbers somewhere. I had an ostreo variety fwiw.
I put the dose number 6 yesterday, my corals look already much better but I still see my dinos reproducing, You made water changes during Vibrant? When did you start to see en inprovement? I have Ostreopsis Ovata.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the dose number 6 yesterday, my corals look already much better but I still see my dinos reproducing, You made water changes during Vibrant? When did you start to see en inprovement? I have Ostreopsis Ovata.
What percentage have you been using as far as bleach...

dnahas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has only been a couple issues I had after dosing bleach.. nothing showed while dosing.. only after stopping.. GBTA bleached.. I think the bleach also killed the dinos in the BTA.. no more mini stars...strange green algae(like really short GHA) ... but I did not lose anything... I ran no carbon or GFO.. skimmer was only thing running..

How are the BTA's recovering? Does anyone else have anything to report on BTA's?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see how bleach the bta is..was bright green..till right after dosing

20170131_212838.jpg

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't remember exactly how long. I want to say it took a solid two months though. If you really wanted to know, I posted updates in the main vibrant thread. If I get a few minutes I will look through my posts and see.
What I did notice is they would ebb and flow. Things would look really clear and then a bit of a bloom before fading again. Possibly from dinos coming out of the sand etc.

Oh and yes I still performed water changes.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm scared to use bleach :( using only Vibrant for now.

I followed the vibrant thread almost religiously.

IMO I'd say it had a high reported success rate. Far more than coincidences or other factors. Still not 100%. Again must be other factors involved.

Continue with vibrant for now, but if it doesn't clear it then move to bleach.

To be honest bleaching whilst Dino's have been knocked back IE by dark/h202 or vibrant or kalk slurry hits will hurt them far harder.

Re-emergence or new blooms are not just cysts entering the water column. These things multiply fast.

Remember bacteria divide....Think about it that way. Every few minutes a division in cells.

Protists duplicate through multiple fission, binary fission, sexual reproduction and budding from parent cells.

That's why you can suck them up then two hours later be looking at the same mess.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 68 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back