Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started H2O2 treatment to help battle an issue I've been having with my SB. For the past year and a half its been plagued with what's believed to be Diatoms.
Unable to find the exact cause by process of elimination it was suggested to me that there may actually be several culprits to blame at once.
So I've lowered the intensity of my led's. Blues from 65% max to 50% max. Whites stay the same @10% max. I also raised the lights themselves.
I have also started dosing H2O2 @1mil per 10g for 8 days. However I screwed up! I dosed 10mil per 10g thus dosed 43mil. My corals are not happy. Zoas, Stylo, BN and blasto's were all closed up. But several hours later are looking better. I've prepared 5g new mix and will do WC in the a.m.
I'll post back later with results of H2O2 treatment.
Please see thread, CaribSea Arag-Live Fiji Pink Substrate for further info on the issue I've been having.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing 5 days ago and I see no change. Going to give it a couple more days then give up.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started H2O2 treatment to help battle an issue I've been having with my SB. For the past year and a half its been plagued with what's believed to be Diatoms.
Unable to find the exact cause by process of elimination it was suggested to me that there may actually be several culprits to blame at once.
So I've lowered the intensity of my led's. Blues from 65% max to 50% max. Whites stay the same @10% max. I also raised the lights themselves.
I have also started dosing H2O2 @1mil per 10g for 8 days. However I screwed up! I dosed 10mil per 10g thus dosed 43mil. My corals are not happy. Zoas, Stylo, BN and blasto's were all closed up. But several hours later are looking better. I've prepared 5g new mix and will do WC in the a.m.
I'll post back later with results of H2O2 treatment.
Please see thread, CaribSea Arag-Live Fiji Pink Substrate for further info on the issue I've been having.

Update: my 6+ year old Candy Cane is looking horrible. Pinched up tight and sloughing mucus. I'm stopping the h2o2 treatment until it hopefully recovers.
Nor are my Zoas looking very happy [emoji45]

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people are doind the 3 day black out what happens to the fish? Do they still eat. Mine get very freaked out if lights go out and stop eating.

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this algae and how do I get rid of it. I added gfo a month ago, my tds has been 0 from the beginning, im practically starving my fish. Haven't done much water changes.. would that help if I did them more? It's all over my rock too. I attached a picture of my sump if you need to see that.

1452654702055.jpg

1452654715195.jpg

1452654731836.jpg

1452654932548.jpg

plumber dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a 1ml per 10 gallon dose tonight to combat Dino's and hopefully nuke a small amount of briopsis as well. I added with the lights out. My sand bed is covered about mid day and is on the live rock as well. I will post my results each day over a 10 day period if anyone is interested. I also get the brown stringy algae on my glass after 2 days. It's pretty annoying. Well wish me luck!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of dosing my tank with this. Do I need to turn off my GFO, carbon, and ATS?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a write up and battle with dinos yea i did use h2o2 the hole time
But there is a ton of diffrent dinos and what works for some doesnt work for all

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...or-dinoflagellates.230341/page-3#post-2684155

Just to add on...

This treatment is not good for corals...won't kill them, but it is stressful.

Don't exceed the dose and don't exceed the treatment period. Neither of those will make it work better against dinos, but it will make it more stressful on your corals.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never hurt my peppermint or blood shrimp either.

Ectogamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 2 ml/10 gallons without any visible ill effects to sps or my skunk cleaner. Only threat to the cleaner is my yellow tang if the cleaner gets a little too frisky. The tang gobbles his antennae, lol!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never hurt my peppermint or blood shrimp either.

Part of the issue is the lack of generally available food-grade h2o2....it doesn't last in storage (which means you'd never know what potency you're dosing) so nobody carries it.

The alternative is h2o2 with an "industrially anonymized" stabilizer - some of which are sorta nasty.

This is what your grocer and pharmacy carry more than likely - and what your shrimp won't love.

Worth repeating: Don't overdose compared to the recipe and don't run the treatment longer than the recipe - since that doesn't help with dinos, but makes the dose more toxic to other critters. YMMV, but you're counting a bit on luck unless you have fresh, food-grade h2o2 at your disposal.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back