Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when targeting green algae they say it's effect is most intense during rapid photosynthesis tho.

That's typically something like the hour or two before and after peak sun hours.

Since we're ostensibly playing on the same mechanism I'd think the same should be true for dino's, at least to some extent. There was a link earlier in the thread that talked about this (re: green algae) if anyone else happens to recall better.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
On day 3 of h202 dosing for cyano and it's working miracles. I was doing manual removals for a bit but came back strong as could be next day. After started the h202 dosing I have done one manual removal since and things looking waaaaaay better. Using 3%otc at 1ml/10gal dosing daily.

Twoods84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may help as they like to travel the water column during lights out.
Thanks I'll try it cause I'm about to rip my hair out, my question is I'm going to set up a new 40 gallon and put new sand and new water in the tank is it possible to transfer corals and rock without introducing the stuff into the new tank

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll try it cause I'm about to rip my hair out, my question is I'm going to set up a new 40 gallon and put new sand and new water in the tank is it possible to transfer corals and rock without introducing the stuff into the new tank
The dinoflagellates will tag along with any corals. Well anything with a surface. These guys are nasty!

Twoods84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
Hey man I have heard mixed reviews on this actually working some people are telling me that it will not eliminate Dinoflagellates at all, just wondering if you blacked out your tank for a while when dosing

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" I had the same problem. Did it look like this? Please, some insight would be great.

This stuff was driving me crazy. I first had a bad ha an bubble problem. I installed a biopellet reactor it wiped out the ha and about decimated the bubble. However this off white slimy stuff took over. The glass and rock was covered with it an agressive blast would send bitts into a huge cloud. Clog up a big filter sock in no time. I thought it could of been a biofilm from overdoing the biopellets? Any way the old tank started leaking so the setup was completely torn down. I have the rock cooking since July 4th. Do You Folks think this will kill it? Should I treat it while in the barrels maybe? Sorry for jumping in here but I'm about desperate get rid of this stuff. Thanks !

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man I have heard mixed reviews on this actually working some people are telling me that it will not eliminate Dinoflagellates at all, just wondering if you blacked out your tank for a while when dosing
Be careful. H2o2 kills it all. Even the good stuff.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" I had the same problem. Did it look like this? Please, some insight would be great.

This stuff was driving me crazy. I first had a bad ha an bubble problem. I installed a biopellet reactor it wiped out the ha and about decimated the bubble. However this off white slimy stuff took over. The glass and rock was covered with it an agressive blast would send bitts into a huge cloud. Clog up a big filter sock in no time. I thought it could of been a biofilm from overdoing the biopellets? Any way the old tank started leaking so the setup was completely torn down. I have the rock cooking since July 4th. Do You Folks think this will kill it? Should I treat it while in the barrels maybe? Sorry for jumping in here but I'm about desperate get rid of this stuff. Thanks !
I ended up buying 2 products made by a scientist named Dr. Tim. Waste away and Re-fresh. I'll send you a picture. If you read my post you know my story. Your sounds identical. Is so late the harmful air fresheners and any other possible sources of VOC in the air. Make sure your lids are closed

1475351633052-2116278973.jpg

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy to say I've been dinoflagellate free for a almost a week. I've had them since almost the tanks start. Not sure how I got them . Possibly because I transferred all of my live stock from a temporary 10 gallon . I had major chaeto die off maybe due to low nutrients . Together with an improperly cycled tank maybe this caused perfect conditions for Dinos to thrive .

I attempted the hydrogen peroxide dosing method and blackout only to lose coral and brittle stars and who knows what else microfauna . Dinos disappeared for a day and still came back

Finally for the past month or so i shortened the light cycle in my DT and ran my sump light 24 hours. I dumped skimate back into the sump fed like crazy anything to make other algea flourish. I also added a handful of a caulerpa to the refugiun. In time the sump was overrun with algea and the Dinos were mostly in the sump. Just this weekend I trimmed out crazy amounts of caulerpa . . Hair algea began to develop . And Dinos have faded away completely from the entire system . Even ran without my curve 5 bubble Magnus skimmer for a bit. I'm not sure how my system has balanced out but I sure hope Dinos remain gone long term. Have patches of hair algea in display tank but turbos are making quick work of it. Corals are now recovering and really starting to show growth.

What I've found that sucks about Dinos is that what may work for some may not work for others and that they truly do suck

IMG_1092.JPG

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 2 of dosing h2o2 in my tank that had a huge breakout of dinos while cycling. I have no idea how it could've possibly gotten into the tank other than the live rock I got. This tank has been kind of a curse since I got it, but I'm going to keep on keeping on!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word on the street is wrong buddy.

No different to importing briopsis in to your tank.

Most likely came in on rock. It's a protist. Bloody stubborn hard as hell to kill, highly unlikely to be killed without extreme measures.
To put it into context, it has survived all the mass extinctions. Guess hence the name Dino. If fat butt rocks from space can't extinguish it. That H202 is like laughing gas to most species.

You might be lucky.and get a weedy strain...but i don't do luck.

Black outs only get rid of it visibly. It disperses. Youre in fact doing it service. At night it (or during black out) it breaks away from the snot like substance and goes on the mooch. To inhabit other areas. Only to reform during nice lighting.

Tomisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed one reason might have been microbacter7. I had a bit of dinoflagellates for awhile, then tried microbacter7 and now my tank is covered in Dino's. Tried Chemipure. Helped but it's coming back on day two. Just added Vibrant.

Tomisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you added hydrogen peroxide, was it regular peroxide from Walmart kind or? And what was the exact dose again? Your post first says 1 ml per 10 gals, the .5 Per gallon. Probably a typo but I want to be sure...

Back