DIY Dimming t5 Fixture

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a little back story. I've always been blown away with the growth and color from systems lit with t5's. After I've spent almost $1200 on my AI Hydras for the controllability aspect I wanted to give a shot at a t5 hybrid. No ATI or Giesemann fixture would fit in my canopy with the Hydras so I found two 2 bulb fixtures at a home department store for around $30 each. It was too much at full strength and bleached most of my Acro's. I took them down and there they sat for over a year. The t5 bug kept chewing at me and finally I decided to sell the Hydra's and set up a 48" dimmable fixture. Strangely enough for 3 Hydras and a director at $400 off retail, couldn't sell them. So I made due with what I had.
I am making this thread because I had a heck of a time finding any step by step info or others who have done this. Hopefully I can save you the trial and error I had.
I found the two bulb fixture fit well and I could use one on each side of the LED's. I found the dimmable ballast at Iballast.com for around $50-$65. Make sure it has a 0-10v port.

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

I used a Kessil cord to run from the ballast to the Apex Variable Speed outlet, I got 2 of them for about $20 each.

I only used the White and Red wire from the cord which is strange because the White wire controls intensity and the Red controls color on the Kessil, but it was a process of trial and error to get this right.
IMAG0468.jpg

The White wire goes into the Grey outlet which is (-) negative
The Red wire goes into the Violet outlet which is (+) positive

IMAG0466.jpg
IMAG0467.jpg

Next I took the wires from the two fixtures and ran them into another Kessil cord that I left the Cat5 on to hook up to my Apex VDM module for ramp up ramp down.
IMAG0470.jpg

Lastley I ordered a reflector for about $18 a piece and installed it with small nylon screws to prevent rust.
IMAG0471.jpg
IMAG0472.jpg

All that's left to do is make a profile on your Apex for one channel and hang your fixture! It is wise to have fans in your canopy as well. I purchased some cabinet fans for around $50 that are variable speed with 4 channels. I will add this can be done without the Apex. There is a switch that can be purchased to manually control the Dim for around $45.
IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

Ill include a video to show the Dim. Hopefully this saves someone at least half the stress and headache I experienced trying to get this to work. Big shout out to Jess from Diablo Corals for all the help and my VERY patient wife.

IMAG0475.jpg

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, I've been looking into building my own t5 fixture, awesome to see a dimmable version.

OP
OP
DLuce510

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at home depot and lowe's and I cannot for the life of me find T5 fixtures, especially now that all of the LED lights are out on the market.
Hmm. Just picked up one today just to burn the bulbs in at 100%. Maybe they're phasing them out on line to push LED's but asure you you can find them at most hard ware stores. Ace hardware definitely has some as well.

OP
OP
DLuce510

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows this working now, as far as your corals and such?!
Worked great, corals dont really care about brand of fixture. Some of the ballast can be a little finicky and not go to full capacity sometimes. I came across a great deal on a ATI led t5 hybrid and jumped on it. So now I have my fixture sitting off to the side for the day I set up a 8' display:p

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back