DIY Filter Socks

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the micron rating of this material is?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but mine start 2 overflow about day 4. If that helps at all.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's running about a 1000 gph and feeding pretty heavy. I generally just throw one in on sat morning and remove it on Monday morning. I don't run one during the week.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the micron rating of this material is?
Marc, its at least in the 200 range. I have four production 200 micron socks, and my DIY socks clog at about the same time or faster than the production ones. Right now on average I get about four days before changing is needed.

I use two 4" x 8" socks with about 900gph running in total through the sump... So about 450gph each. I feed twice with frozen food (LRS fish and herbivore frenzy) and once with flake, per day.

I need to add: I have not washed these yet. I made 31 socks from two yards of felt. I don't know the wear on these socks after washing.. But will soon find out.

Hth

Last edited:

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,guys.
I using from bubble magus 4 inch 200 micron is very good but a little price is high.10$ for one filter sock!!
THANKS

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Guys from Tehran and Egypt I wonder if they get livestock from the Red Sea. Also We should send them some felt from Joanne"s !
Hi,cracker.
I think that livestock Red Sea coming to the Tehran 2_3 times in month,So if you like I can send to you:)
Also today we received ORA and Hawaii live stock from united states.
Have a nice day

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have just put the sock people out of business. I'm going to do this - well, I'll get my wife to sew them.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,cracker.
I think that livestock Red Sea coming to the Tehran 2_3 times in month,So if you like I can send to you:)
Also today we received ORA and Hawaii live stock from united states.
Have a nice day
Thank You for the reply and a Good DAy to You Sir!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah Tehran! I got the pleasure of seeing your country in 1995! When I was in the military. Pretty cool that I was able to see stuff like that.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want too buy this fabric. Pixel can you post a like where you bought yours from . Or pn me cause we just started using the 4" circle socks. And there a bit expensive cause we never reuse socks at all we been using the eshopps 4" rectangle ones and there about 8-11$ea so maybe a thousand dollars*+ from when we started the hobby just on socks .

Awesome info this should be a sticky on the DIY THREAD thanks a million.

"""""Now gotta buy me a sewing me chine :)""""

Just curious, why don't you reuse the socks?. I have about twelve of them and when about ten of them get dirty, I just throw them in the washer with a little bleach and do a double rinse and an air dry.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc, its at least in the 200 range. I have four production 200 micron socks, and my DIY socks clog at about the same time or faster than the production ones. Right now on average I get about four days before changing is needed.

I use two 4" x 8" socks with about 900gph running in total through the sump... So about 450gph each. I feed twice with frozen food (LRS fish and herbivore frenzy) and once with flake, per day.

I need to add: I have not washed these yet. I made 31 socks from two yards of felt. I don't know the wear on these socks after washing.. But will soon find out.

Hth

Let us know how the washing goes. I have a feeling the felt will fluff up, but you'll have to tell us one way or another.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I wash them before the boss sews them up they do fluff a bit. Biggest reason. For me to make these is I can afford to throw them away after use so durability I'm not so worried about.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you throw away after use. How much do you pay your boss to sew them for you? any complain from your boss? Any strike yet?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope takes her an hour every 3 months. Than I'm not washing them. Probably the cheapest thing I use for the tank.

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah Tehran! I got the pleasure of seeing your country in 1995! When I was in the military. Pretty cool that I was able to see stuff like that.
Mr,heathd.hd I very glad that you visiting my country and capital of iran,tehran.
Best

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr,heathd.hd I very glad that you visiting my country and capital of iran,tehran.
Best

Have you been scuba diving in the area at all?

I went snorkeling off the coast of Oman around that same time. It's not very close 2 you I know. It was awesome though!

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back