DIY Rock Tutorial/Info Thread (Rocks, walls, floors, etc.)

Rafael Kenji Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks.
I'm from brazil so if I didn't write very well, I apologize.

I had saw this topic last month, but I don't have time to make this DIY.
Today I took courage to buy all the stuff. When I read about the perlite I saw that it's made from silicon trioxide(SiO3) and aluminum oxide(Al2O3)

Who much toxic the DIY rock can be with all those silicon and aluminum in our saltawater tank?

Thank you very much.

alexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing topic... Question? I heard that using sugar instead of salt works great plus it leaves behind a food source for when bacteria is introduce. Anyone has any experience with this?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@alexreef Although that may be true about a food source it won't work. It'll cause your rock to fall apart. The only possible way might be if you used sugar cubes but I wouldn't risk it.

The salt used is not and can not be granular (main reason sugar can't be used as well) you need to use "salt crystals"(not pellets either). The kind that you get at the home store or grocery store for water softner systems. This stuff is odd shaped and has chunks of various sizing. When melted out from the rock it gives more holes, makes the rock more porous and gives a more natural look to the rock.

*** When your rock is hardened (at least 36 hrs depending on rock size) you MUST melt out the salt BEFORE putting it in the cure water. Soaking in 5g buckets of rodi is the best way to do that until you see that it's gone. Once gone, rinse again in fresh rodi.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks.
I'm from brazil so if I didn't write very well, I apologize.

I had saw this topic last month, but I don't have time to make this DIY.
Today I took courage to buy all the stuff. When I read about the perlite I saw that it's made from silicon trioxide(SiO3) and aluminum oxide(Al2O3)

Who much toxic the DIY rock can be with all those silicon and aluminum in our saltawater tank?

Thank you very much.
Haven't used perlite for that reason. If you think there is a risk don't do it. Personally I prefer the salt crystals method. It is more natural looking.

Rofire1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great information on this! I plan on using this when I get a larger tank. I have a 125g. but am looking to start a build on a 180+g. I'm by the water in Florida so I have access to alot of natural materials which I plan on using for a wall build.
How wide of a wall section do you recommend be constructed for strength?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of some of the natural materials especially those on and near the beaches. The oceans (and gulf) use the waves to remove polutants and the sand is the catchall ;) I made the mistake of putting a beach rock in a tank once...

As far as size there are many factors to consider... design it first then work out the details

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, that's a different story then! Lol Yeah rocks and sand from the beaches are a no-no ;)

For those of you thinking about getting stuff from the beaches....
Think of tanning oils and chemicals, if for no other reason (and there are many), going into the tank!

Rakahrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most live rock is porous? many use salt in the mix (rock salt) then soak the rock in tubs of water aerated and changed every few days to desolve the salt and other stuff .
how do you get your cement mix to be porous for the bacteria to grow in?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, I disolve thesalt out first before putting the rock in a freshwater cure tank or can. I change water daily until the ph reaches 8.4. Once it reaches 8.4 i test for it to rise again. When that happens I change the water again. Generally once it reaches 8.4 i begin changing it about 1 time per week. If it stays at 8.4 for a whole week I wait to see if it is still 8.4 at 2 weeks. If so, it is ready to come out of the cure water. You can either add it to your tank (it will become live on its own) or put it in a can with tank water that passes through it. Whaterver your method, it's safe to use now

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be like that with some subjects. This subject takes a bit of reading, planning, work and time... That is too much for many and they just go out and buy rock. But if you want something unique or simply want to help save the planet, this is the way to go.

I did it because I wanted a return column and overflows that were capable of growing coral on that was live and wasn't a black box.

My rock after 1.5 years
46b4aa55b2b05a5b943fd324bc4fc951.jpg

534c9ba054a1623a4c8f88bde72280f6.jpg

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it is beautiful. Is the overflow tube in the middle?
That's looks to be his returns. And the overflow is shown in the first photo at the end.

@prsnlty your tank looks amazing. I'm about to give this a try but one question is, due to the cement is the rock very heavy?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it is beautiful. Is the overflow tube in the middle?
Thank you :D

This is a peninsula style tank with overflows at the wall end. There is a drain tube in each with a maggie muffle on top. (I got lazy). The other free standing column is a return column. It has a plastic toilet mount at the bottom with a 4" pvc pipe that is rocked on the outside using a 6" pvc mold that I made. This sits over the return coming up to the top. No water is actually inside the 4" pipe and no pressure is on the bulkhead. If you go back several pages I think I showed some pics on it. If not, I believe they are in my 180 build thread. (Might need to us a pc or phone in desktop mode to see the link in my signature).

Last edited:
Back