DIY Rubbermaid Sump

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if I were to put a rubbermaid tote next to my tank and use it as a sump, running a pump to and from the tote what kind of a difference in output would I need between the two pumps?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would require drilling the tank though, which I cannot do

ok, i was wondering why you were asking about the 2 pumps in the other thread...

you just need a external overflow box. PM me if you want a link to a good quality one.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like this:

CPR-CS50-Overflow-Box-1.jpg

Research "adding a overflow to reef tank" on google and you will find plenty of examples.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box will be rated to a certain GPH...your pump cannot exceed this number. If the pump is smaller than that number you are ok. You can use a gate or ball valve in the return piping to control the rate of flow from the pump.

bpeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube it you can make your own PVC overflow for less than$20. Boxes like above run $100ish.

bpeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yep that's the same vid I watched when I built mine on my frag tank. On my vent pipe I don't run a cap but if you do drill a hole in it.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys here's an update, I was planning on making two seperate containers for the sump to hold a reactor and have another act as a fuge so that I can use the smaller rubbermade totes I already own which are sitting in my basement. Ill have a DIY overflow going into the sump tote first which I will somehow figure out how to fit one of those "wall like" areas inside to hold filter pads, which will flow directly into the skimming/reactor chamber, the water will then be piped by a low GPH pump into another tote with lights above it and holes in the top of the tote which will house a mangroves, macro algae, live peppermint shrimp which will act as food also for my angler, I will also probably Add things like cheap feather dusters hermit crabs maybe to the fuge along with a live Sandbed, the water will from there be pumped back into the overflow of my display!! :) whatcu guys think???

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea but one problem I see is the low gph pump between tote 1 and tote 2...this is a problem because it is actively pumping water out of the tub which is huge potential for disaster if a pump should fail.

Is there any way to place one tote higher than the other and use a DIY overflow to transfer water from tote 1 to tote 2? That way a pump failure results in no spill if done correctly and water levels are measured out ahead of time.

Or perhaps easier is to use single container and use baffles to wall off equipment from fuge as many do.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it would be extremely easy to do a mini version of that overflow design I'm using on the back of my tank and set one slightly higher than the other, or I could simply make a hole in one container and use PVC so that the water can flow right into the fuge, sealing it obviously

Aqua Craft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is essential to cure any new Rubbermaid container prior to using with any salt water aquarium usage.

E.g. If there is the slightest odor from new Rubbermaid (or similar containers), fill it with water. Then add and mix 1 pound of rock salt and 1/4 cup of clorox for each 5 gallons.

Allow to sit (preferably outside) for 5-7 days. Wash out and rinse completely. (Do not discard the salt & clorox solution on your lawn).

If there is still an odor from the material used to make the container, cure again.

Once there is no odor, allow the container to "open air cure" for another week or so.

When new containers are manufactured, they are produced by molding with material that can leech toxins into aquarium water. At the time of manufacture to the time of sale, these containers are nested or put one inside the next. Nesting newly molded containers will not allow any residual toxins to escape. Thus the curing process is essential.

We do this with all new Rubbermaid containers. Not curing as described will turn new salt water into a toxic solution.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all was going well untill the rubbermade cracked... Lol drilling a plastic tote and shoving some PVC through the hole then sealing it is easier said than done...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back