DIY Screen Net Tops: Tips, Tricks, and Pics!

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the clips. I have a glass cover right now. I literally just filled my tank and the glass is already fogged over and starting to precipitate. I imagine it will be encrusted with salt in a few days. It's going to look ugly.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the clips. I have a glass cover right now. I literally just filled my tank and the glass is already fogged over and starting to precipitate. I imagine it will be encrusted with salt in a few days. It's going to look ugly.

Especially if you want coral the light will reflect it.

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my handheld wood router (dewalt 611 to be exact) and a couple of regular wood router bits to cut the frame. Picked up 0.22" sheet of acrylic from Lowes, did some measurements, made some router guides out of scrap plywood and cut two frames like this in about a day around Christmas break. 1/4" router bit to cut the frame and 1/8" bit for the spline groove. I also used 1-1/2" hole saw in a drill to cut rounded corners. The frame is 1-1/4" wide.

How deep did you do the spline groove?

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my return pipes come up over the top and I learned from my 75g (in the first picture) that the back flaps don't go back nearly far enough and so I've still got the occasional fish jumping to their death. There are only three frames on the first picture, the white (4th) frame is removable and acts to hold the shape of the first three.

20170217_180457.jpg

In the newer 93 cube I used the clips like Innovative Marine has to give my rimless a nice look. And I extended the netting further down the back this time. This has made it harder for fish to jump to their death. I use the magnet on my gyre to help hold it down.

20170217_180419.jpg 20170217_180425.jpg

Redswine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the BRS kit and installed this 2 weeks ago. Super easy and the tank looks so much better. You could visibly see the difference right away from our glass lid. we tried going with no lid, loved the look, but one of our clowns jumped. Luckily it landed in the overflow. So this gives us the best of both worlds. Great light penetration and no jumpers.
Screenshot_20170217-211921~2.jpg

MeshmeZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my solution for screens on a eurobraced tank. I used "polycarbonate h jamb" in the size that matched my screen frame thickness. This is the stuff you use on frameless glass shower enclosures for the door to seal against. I was looking for a solution because I couldn't stand the idea of having this beautiful eurobraced tank and just having a screen sit on top. the screen sits flush with the top of the glass. The screen is the BRS stuff.
20170212_123546re_zpsgj7wrmdh.jpg

20170212_123559re_zpscyf33yuy.jpg

20170217_202934re_zpswukljypl.jpg

20170217_202906_zpsuiv0s0c3.jpg

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip for working around HOB or wiring is to use cross stitch plastic fabric. This is a semi-stiff plastic sheet you can get at any craft store and is easily cut with scissors.
Screen top 1.jpg
Screen top 2.jpg
This looks great and is quite functional. How did you attach the mesh sheet to the frame?

Vanmo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more examples of how best to do an area to remove for feeding, without creating separate panels and the shadows that come with having the screen frame anywhere except around the perimeter. Maybe its possible to somehow hinge a section of it, don't know what I would use as hinges, something with zip-ties maybe?

nascar02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video!! I left my top open for this very reason. I know now it's really a non factor.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
here is my solution for screens on a eurobraced tank. I used "polycarbonate h jamb" in the size that matched my screen frame thickness. This is the stuff you use on frameless glass shower enclosures for the door to seal against. I was looking for a solution because I couldn't stand the idea of having this beautiful eurobraced tank and just having a screen sit on top. the screen sits flush with the top of the glass. The screen is the BRS stuff.

20170217_202906_zpsuiv0s0c3.jpg

I love this idea. I saw this on another website and looked for it. It's kind of pricey at Lowes for a large tank, but can be found online, doing a goggle search.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more examples of how best to do an area to remove for feeding, without creating separate panels and the shadows that come with having the screen frame anywhere except around the perimeter. Maybe its possible to somehow hinge a section of it, don't know what I would use as hinges, something with zip-ties maybe?
+1

MeshmeZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea. I saw this on another website and looked for it. It's kind of pricey at Lowes for a large tank, but can be found online, doing a goggle search.
I found a 90+" section of it online for around $25 shipped. also, i figured i would need it around a large part of the perimeter, but i ended up only needing it on either end (5 foot x 2 foot tank)

Back