DIY sump question

rkseaslug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't to build a sump out of a 60 gal plexiglas tank. It fits perfect in the cabinet of my new 100 gal. The only problem is the 60 gal is to tall. It only gives me 6 inches to the top of the cabinet. I want to cut off 5 inches off the top of the pleat tank. Does any one think that's crazy? I think it will only have 30 gal of water in it because it is my sump. Does anyone know if it is safe to cut off the top of a tank?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not. If you are questioning whether it will hold water or not after cutting it, just reseal it with new silicone.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine as long as you add baffles and maybe a couple top braces across it... The problem won't be when its running the issue will arise when your powers out... When the tank is sitting there full to the brim it will bow pretty badly... Also glue the baffles in with Weldon 4 and seal with 16.. Don't use silicone it won't add any structural strength....Or just cut the 5" off the front of the tank and leave the sides and back for extra support... Hth..

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back