Do I need more flow?

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what ya'll think, I have an all in one (total is 33 gallons with 27 or so minus the built in filter area) I don't think I have any major issues currently, but i'm a novice.
On the left wall there is a Jeboa RW-4 (using random flow at 80ish percent) and the return on the right is a 315 gallon per hour pump with a IM Spin stream attachment.

DSC07862.JPG

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can never have enough flow I move somewhere around 12,000 gph in mine and sometimes if feel I need more but with that said it depends on what your plan is for your tank. if sps is in your future I'd save up and put 2 mp10's in there

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat if stuff starts getting blown around at first it will settle eventually. crazy flow keeps your tank clean of detritus

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Bdog4u2 I think i'm going to go for another Jebao (somewhat because i'm interested in the wireless connection). Any ideas on placement, I mocked up a few ideas (not the most accurate full view of the flow affects I know), I don't really want anything on the front glass, and I think it won't really work on the filter side.
Wavemaker-01.jpg

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different i have 2 up high and 2 down low. the top 2 are slightly facing the back and the bottom 2 straight ahead

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals/livestock doing with one pump? If they're OK then I wouldn't worry about it. If not, then a second pump should be considered. The ability to sync the pumps would be a must for me.;)

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals/livestock doing with one pump? If they're OK then I wouldn't worry about it. If not, then a second pump should be considered. The ability to sync the pumps would be a must for me.;)
Corals seem to be doing well, great color, decent growth. Just have a small but persistent amount of cyano in some of the corners, I think it's mostly do to flow not quite getting around the rock work (Nitrates at .5 and Phos comes in at 0).

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I'd add another pump and sync them up and it should take care of your bacteria situations, or add a smaller pump to circulate flow around your dead spots. May want to keep an eye on your No3 and not let it get too low;) Are you running a ULNS system? JMHO

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I'd add another pump and sync them up and it should take care of your bacteria situations, or add a smaller pump to circulate flow around your dead spots. May want to keep an eye on your No3 and not let it get too low;) Are you running a ULNS system? JMHO

I've never intentionally tried to go ULNS, I think it's due being a little heavy in the water changes (31ish gallon tank, 5 gallon weekly). I probably don't need that bag of Phosguard eh?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back