Does loud noise/music effect our tanks?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got to thinking...... (I know, crazy, right?)
Do loud (strong) vibrations like that from home theater/stereo systems and subwoofers have any effect on our fish, corals or tank at all??
Think of when your watching a movie and that LOUD rumble comes across during that action scene that shakes the whole house, or just loud bass-heavy music being played a lot.... or even like some of these bars/clubs that have fishtanks as centerpieces or something.......
My walls on the house are shaking, so i have to assume the fish/corals can notice it????? is this bad for them? Can anyone point me towards articles on this subject if there are any?

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it has some effects, some fish believe it or not can hear for miles especially feel vibrations. I know when I start shaking my bottle of pellets all my fish come shooting out from there hiding spots cause they know it's feeding time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can state its no harm to anything besides fish. have kept the spectrum of marine animals in a home loud enough to get cop visits, friendly reminder ones, over the last decade. not in a few yrs though have chilled a bit... although the gear gets cranked on occasionally. Once over a period of years I literally wondered if my pico would vibrate off the counter, checking it repeatedly. full band in living room. the corals adapted and wouldn't even close up, but fish could be a concern. not any inverts.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't noticed any response to stereo, TV, etc. But if you directly hit/tap on the tank, even at the other end of a 6' tank it scares the fish badly.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can be bothered by sound but also can become accustomed to loud noise. I have subwoofers all over my house and have long been an audiophile. My fish have done fine with it although I'm sure the adjustment period is irritating for them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back