Erratic Swimming

Kim Marczynski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this forum and owning a saltwater tank. I have been extremely cautious and slow in adding life to my aquarium and I have just recently added my second fish to my tank. It is a Randall's anthias and was healthy and mobile in the store, I acclimated and quarantined appropriately (at least I think, same as my first fish which is an Pygmy angelfish who is happy and healthy), my water quality is on the money according to all my tests (ammonia phos nitrites nitrates specific gravity temp etc).

Long story short... The anthias has taken to swimming upside down, facing toward the ground in the back corner of the tank Or when not swimming is "resting" on a structure in the tank (not on the sand bed). I have researched swim bladder but it mostly eludes to disease, etc which I do not think is the problem. I've read swim bladder can be from stress and new environment, if this is so, is there a way to fix it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble took the words out of my mouth, as they are a deepwater fish. Swim bladder inflammation is due to a fish not being decompressed correctly when collected. The bubble can take time to develop. The fish tries to swim down to keep itself from floating upwards.
Can you post some pictures?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually issues with swim bladders due to poor decompression causes increased buoyancy, so the randall's "resting" doesn't fit with that. If there is a swim bladdr issue there will be a noticeable shimmy when swimming.

Also, randalls will orient their swimming with their belly to structure, and will often utilize aquarium corners for this.

Randalls are social fish, kept singly can affect their behavior.

OP
OP
K

Kim Marczynski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the replies I will try and post some pictures. I don't notice any physical changes in the fish. What should I look for in terms of a bubble forming?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the replies I will try and post some pictures. I don't notice any physical changes in the fish. What should I look for in terms of a bubble forming?
As stated if the fish is resting and isn't wedging it's self between something then it might not be swim bladder. Here is a picture of a swollen swim bladder and how the fish wedges it's self. This is a bad case, I have seen some fish at a lfs with a swim bladder issue where they were able to stay down but when swimming would tilt downward and did show a swollen belly compared to a healthy version of that fish.
uploadfromtaptalk1448895632046.jpg

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture the fish looks normal. (Besides the downward swimming) Here's the good news, if it's eating that's a good sign. Fish can live a long time with a swim bladder problem. You stated he swims around, most will not unless they are being feed. I would give him some time. Like @eatbreakfast said these fish will orient their swimming with their belly to structure, seems to be that in the pictures.

OP
OP
K

Kim Marczynski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to occasionally nibble on food and it will swim in that awkward manner on occasion. Will it live like this indefinitely? Is there a general time frame I should follow before I should take other actions?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, give him some time to see what happens.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything concerning here either. The behavior is consistent with many deepwater anthias when they've been recently brought up. They tend to hide from the light as much as possible. Typically, they adjust much better in time.

Was the store tank more dimly lit than yours?

OP
OP
K

Kim Marczynski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No about the same lighting as mine... I think I may have just figured out that my other fish is bullying it. So I've moved the rock around and am going to add some more to create a few more caves. It's out of character for my Pygmy angelfish but I just witnessed it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's out of character for my Pygmy angelfish but I just witnessed it.

I had one of those that was good as gold for years and then all of a sudden started attacking any new fish I put in the tank. Almost killed a larger Blue Spot Tang. :eek:

OP
OP
K

Kim Marczynski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! I hope that's not the case with this one, my first fish, maybe I left it alone in the tank to long. I'm hopeful some environment change will fix the issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back