Extremely worried about male clown

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3065.JPG

Hey everyone, I am very worried. My male clownfish is all scratched up and here is why, sometimes in the middle of the night or a few days in a row he will splash so loud and get disoriented and bang around my whole tank. He is not looking good and idk what else I can do for him.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the disease forum. Any outward signs of diseases?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andy. Can you give us a little more background on this clown and your set up? How long have you had him? Is this a new tank? What was the last wet thing added to the tank and when? Were any of your fish QT'd? Is he breathing heavy? Flashing or scraching when he's not stuck to the overflow? How long has this behavior been going on?

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andy. Can you give us a little more background on this clown and your set up? How long have you had him? Is this a new tank? What was the last wet thing added to the tank and when? Were any of your fish QT'd? Is he breathing heavy? Flashing or scraching when he's not stuck to the overflow? How long has this behavior been going on?

So, I got a pair of clowns from my lfs about 3 weeks ago. The female is calm and he is a little more hyper. I have a 14g biocube with a kessil a80. This is a new tank it has been up for about 2 months. Nothing wet has been added since. He is breathing a little heavy and I don't have a qt I am a bit tight on space. I havent seen him flash or scratch. This behavior has been going on since the 3rd day I have had him. I will add that he jumped out of the net onto the ground about 3ft from the tank, this is what I fear could have caused him damage.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He thrashes around when he's not stuck to the overflow? Does he ever act normal? Does he eat?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thrashing not so much, maybe 2 times I have seen him thrash. He does act normal when the lights are on. He does eat

So this behavior and weirdness happens mostly at night? Are there any pieces of equipment that only run at night? Any at all?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes only at night, only saw it once in the morning. Nope no extra equipment runs.

That's just odd. I would think there is something coming on at night that is possibly leaking voltage into the tank. It's weird that the other fish are not showing symptoms like this as well, but I've seen weirder things. Can you check for stray voltage?

Eddie Rogers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you turning on the lights at night while he is sleeping?

I have freshwater fish do the same thing if I turn on the lights early in the morning while they are still sleeping.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you turning on the lights at night while he is sleeping?

I have freshwater fish do the same thing if I turn on the lights early in the morning while they are still sleeping.

No, the only light that would be near the tank is my tv but it doesn't stay on for long

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just odd. I would think there is something coming on at night that is possibly leaking voltage into the tank. It's weird that the other fish are not showing symptoms like this as well, but I've seen weirder things. Can you check for stray voltage?

Sure, I don't see anything that would be a problem. Could it be my neotherm heater? There is about 3 in of wire in my first chamber. should I raise it so no wire is submerged?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I don't see anything that would be a problem. Could it be my neotherm heater? There is about 3 in of wire in my first chamber. should I raise it so no wire is submerged?

Heaters are dangerous things. I'm not sure if a wire needs to be in the water for it to leak voltage. I'll need backup for something like that #reefsquad

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be any combination of things. I you feed the heater is the cause, get a new one. Heater even the higher end one are fairly inexpensive compared to loosing critters in the tank and also possible risks to you of electrical shock

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters can be trouble, and they tend not to last as long as you'd like. This system's just a couple of months old - is the heater the same age? (not that it couldn't be the culprit _anyway_, but...)

I wonder if it'd help to leave a "moonlight" on through the night, just as you'd leave a nightlight on for a small child with nightmares? Not ideal for the other creatures, but perhaps this guy needs something like that.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters can be trouble, and they tend not to last as long as you'd like. This system's just a couple of months old - is the heater the same age? (not that it couldn't be the culprit _anyway_, but...)

I wonder if it'd help to leave a "moonlight" on through the night, just as you'd leave a nightlight on for a small child with nightmares? Not ideal for the other creatures, but perhaps this guy needs something like that.

~Bruce

The heater is the same age and I do have a little night light I keep on for him! but it is not helping I guess

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters are dangerous things. I'm not sure if a wire needs to be in the water for it to leak voltage. I'll need backup for something like that #reefsquad

He is thrashing alot now :( I am scared he is just pulsing trough the water and floating with the current

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back