Extremely worried about male clown

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only at night or more often at night, I believe there is a sudden scare type disease related to low HUFA intake of clown-fish.... I can't remember the name.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3066.JPG

Update: I just woke up and saw that his fins is beat up bad, I moved the heater so there is no wire in the tank.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm so sorry you're dealing with this. i would test for stray voltage. also with a 2/3 month old tank check out the amonia levels... i know its cycled but a random spike is possible
this is such a strange situation

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3066.JPG

Update: I just woke up and saw that his fins is beat up bad, I moved the heater so there is no wire in the tank.
Damaged fins has me wondering about flukes or some disease. I can't tell by the photo but it looks like he has a dusting or coating on it? Perhaps velvet or brook?

Could you provide a better photo?

@Humblefish @Brew12 @melypr1985

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damaged fins has me wondering about flukes or some disease. I can't tell by the photo but it looks like he has a dusting or coating on it? Perhaps velvet or brook?

Could you provide a better photo?

@Humblefish @Brew12 @melypr1985

There are some black spots on his face, idk if that means black ich or scratches from hitting things

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move him into a QT? Even a 5 gal bucket will do. Just to see if his condition improves once removed from DT environment.

(Use all new SW to setup the QT. Don't reuse anything from the DT.)

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get a grounding plug just to eliminate that possibility. They are pretty cheap. They're basically just a conductive piece that plugs into an outlet (or power strip). They have two plastic prongs and then the metal ground post so that they are sending any stray voltage to ground, i.e. out of your tank.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3073.JPG

So, I set up this QT for him that I just got an hour ago. He is a little stressed, but I know that he is safer here. (this needs to get filled up a little bit ik)

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :-( I lost a clown to jumping about two weeks ago and have another that is acting funny.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, my other clown is acting funny and having the same behavior, I did a water change yesterday, so I don't think it's the water

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, my other clown is acting funny and having the same behavior, I did a water change yesterday, so I don't think it's the water

Did the other clown start acting funny before or after the water change? How big of a water change was it? It's possible that some parameter was off when you did the water change (e.g. temperature, salinity, trace elements) causing stress. Have you removed him to your QT yet?

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the other clown start acting funny before or after the water change? How big of a water change was it? It's possible that some parameter was off when you did the water change (e.g. temperature, salinity, trace elements) causing stress. Have you removed him to your QT yet?

After, it was 5% because I did not have many nitrates. Yes the water was 3 degrees off, which is my fault. Salinity was the same. I did not have time to put her into my QT yet (running late) but I did not know if I should, so when I get home I will

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After, it was 5% because I did not have many nitrates. Yes the water was 3 degrees off, which is my fault. Salinity was the same. I did not have time to put her into my QT yet (running late) but I did not know if I should, so when I get home I will

I'm not sure a 5% change at a wrong temperature would be enough to trigger that kind of response. In my opinion, the salinity is more important, which you had the same.

Is he swimming upside down like the other clown? Swim bladder issue, possibly?

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure a 5% change at a wrong temperature would be enough to trigger that kind of response. In my opinion, the salinity is more important, which you had the same.

Is he swimming upside down like the other clown? Swim bladder issue, possibly?
Yes, and thrashing slightly she has not been eating but yesterday she was just fine. It could have been because it was the morning and she was waking up but if I have to QT her I want to do it asap

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any white dots/spots/splotches on the clownfish that's now acting funny? Heavy breathing, rubbing, head twitching, staying out of the light, swimming into the flow of a powerhead?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back