Finally joined the wrasse family

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been plotting how to get some wrasses perfectly, but ended up at my lfs which had a decent selection and pulled the trigger. I got a c. lineatus, c. Solorensis, c. Exquisitus, p. Mccoskers (or is it a carpenter's?), and a Leopard (not sure which kind).

Some questions during quarantine, what's the best food for the Leopard, brine and black worms to start then mysis?

The solorensis is just lying on the floor, I hope this is just an adjustment to the new digs?

I plan on doing prazi/Metro (general cure) and tank transfer method, but how long should I wait for starting treatment? A week?

Thanks!
IMG_20170226_201916.jpg IMG_20170226_201919.jpg IMG_20170226_201940.jpg IMG_20170226_201934.jpg

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thread on feeding Leopard wrasses:

leopard-wrasses-not-eating.281739/#post-3427952

I would really love to skip the ttm if possible, but I have always done it in the past, with Leopards being delicate, would skipping it be a bad thing?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are absolutely sure of the black worms, try and stay away from them .
Nutramar Ova , mini mysis and cyclops (If possible, keep live brine shrimp hatch on hand) should get you started on the leopard. I would personally QT the leopard separately than the fairies and the flashers or else make sure that it gets enough food.

Wouldn't start with TTM unless they are absolutely eating healthily . Might even take 10 days.
Would keep the lights out for 2 days to make them feel a little comfortable .

The other trick that worked pretty well, is to keep the temparature around 75-76 and slowly bring it up later to tank temparature. During QT, keeping temparature around 75- 76 helps a lot with diseases.

Regards,
Abhishek

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, blackworms are fantastic for wrasse.

Also your leopard is an ornate leopard female.

I just lost mine to a tank disaster, was one of my favorite fish.

Wrasse do fine with TTM. Wrasse also behave very oddly in quarantine so I wouldn't worry about the laying on the bottom behavior much.

Welcome to the dark side!

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are absolutely sure of the black worms, try and stay away from them .
Nutramar Ova , mini mysis and cyclops (If possible, keep live brine shrimp hatch on hand) should get you started on the leopard. I would personally QT the leopard separately than the fairies and the flashers or else make sure that it gets enough food.

Wouldn't start with TTM unless they are absolutely eating healthily . Might even take 10 days.
Would keep the lights out for 2 days to make them feel a little comfortable .

The other trick that worked pretty well, is to keep the temparature around 75-76 and slowly bring it up later to tank temparature. During QT, keeping temparature around 75- 76 helps a lot with diseases.

Regards,
Abhishek
Great thanks, they're the standard freshwater black worms, I just can get them relatively easily. But my lfs also has live pods. I already have cyclopeeze etc...

I don't have room for a second quarantine tank, but I'll definitely bring the Temps down.

I'll see if my lfs has a brine shrimp hatchery while I'm at it.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read your tank thread, so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the identification, I got decent at the cirrhilabrus identification, but still have trouble with paracheilinus and Leopards.

I'll do a little of each and see what they like. I'll look for the nutramar ova.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your tank thread, so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the identification, I got decent at the cirrhilabrus identification, but still have trouble with paracheilinus and Leopards.

I'll do a little of each and see what they like. I'll look for the nutramar ova.
Thanks, friend.

It's alright, life happens sometimes. It's moved me to look for a new home much faster. I saw it as a sign.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wrasse do fine with TTM. Wrasse also behave very oddly in quarantine so I wouldn't worry about the laying on the bottom behavior much.

Welcome to the dark side!

Absolutely!! If you get clean blackworms without much die offs, why not !! All am saying - be sure of the source .. Blackworms were the best food I could feed my Heckels !!! I miss them wayyyy more than any fish :(

Regards,
Abhishek

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiny leopard is eating well with cyclops and super chopped up mysis. I also put a few pieces of live rock in there for her to pick at while she got used to prepared foods.

Piggybacking off your post...I'm doing the "wait and see" method for treating anything other than prazi. I'd prefer not to TT, do the wrasse experts think it's absolutely necessary? I was thinking an extended QT and hypo if symptoms presented?

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you broadcast dose prazi or just toss it in the water? I usually do prazi in between TTM transfers so I clear the tank of all prazi/metro. Just wondering as you have live rock, i.e. if it were copper it would be tainted forever; but not sure how prazi/metro affects live rock.

I will be running some regular water changes as the bioload is higher than I prefer, but I consider this time for them to pig out if possible and have someone at home feeding them during the day.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is fine with live rock and is pretty reef safe.

I would do something with wrasses. Either ttm or treat with meds. They can hide symptoms of ich etc, but still be carriers.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is fine with live rock and is pretty reef safe.

I would do something with wrasses. Either ttm or treat with meds. They can hide symptoms of ich etc, but still be carriers.

What meds are considered "safest" for wrasses? Particularly leopards. I have Cupramine on hand. Obviously, the live rock would come out prior to any type of treatment. I've used quinine sulphate (crypto-pro) on fairy and leopard wrasses before, but apparently you can't buy it anymore? I wish I would have kept mine when I broke down my last set-up...I gave away an entire container [emoji30]

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds are considered "safest" for wrasses? Particularly leopards. I have Cupramine on hand. Obviously, the live rock would come out prior to any type of treatment. I've used quinine sulphate (crypto-pro) on fairy and leopard wrasses before, but apparently you can't buy it anymore? I wish I would have kept mine when I broke down my last set-up...I gave away an entire container [emoji30]
I don't think wrasses do well in copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think wrasses do well in copper.

Yea, that's what I thought too. Was thinking hypo-salinity, but I don't want to stress them out too much if they are otherwise healthy. I was hoping maybe @evolved or some of the other wrasse experts had ideas about "preventative vs. symptomatic" treatments.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some difference between chelated and ionic copper, but I don't recall which was safer. With the complexity of measuring copper every day I've just opted to do ttm and been fairly successful to this point. But I've never done wrasses though.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solorensis is still moping about, everyone else is out and about except the Leopard found the sand (or the floor) as he's nowhere to be found. Lfs was out of live food except Tigger pods for $25! Nobody was really interested either. Did a water change as the bioload increased dramatically yesterday.

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really wanting to start a wrasse only tank. (Like I need another) seems like you have to be so selective about stocking and order to stock. They are such beautiful fish

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, they're super awesome. I've been studying and reading about them for so long, I'm stoked. They're super cute, and curious. Hopefully they get a little more comfortable and come out some more, but they're just settling in. Definitely jumpers though, one lineatus I was going to get jumped out of the container he was in for just a couple seconds.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back