Fish Spotlight: Anthias

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anthias are very popular in the hobby because of their beautiful colors and ability to keep them in groups. Bright pinks, oranges and yellows make them very attractive to hobbyists. The belief that they are “nice” community fish or that they stay small is also attractive to the home aquarist. Now, they can certainly be nice community fish, but most don’t stay very small at all. With sizes that range from three inches to 7 inches, the average size tends to be about 5 inches long at adulthood. They generally need a tank of about 125 gallons to live in.

Photo by: marvinsreef

anthias-c-jpg.495612

There are many species of anthias and they all come with different intricacies in their care requirements, but for the purposes of this article, these anthias will be lumped into a big pink and orange group of Anthiadinae. It’s almost funny that these fish are related to groupers, basses and basslets. In the wild, anthias will shoal in large numbers (often 100’s of them) around the reef. Inside each shoal there are subgroups or harems. Most harems consist of anywhere from two to a dozen females, a dominant male and maybe even a submale or two. The dominant male is aggressive, protective of his territory and females and the most colorful of the group. The submale (subdominant), is less colorful than the dominant, not aggressive or protective or even competitive unless the dominant male dies.

Photo by: Tanggirl12

anthias-d-jpg.495613

With anthias, every fish is born a female. The largest of the group usually develops into the dominant male. It is possible to have other males in a harem, as I mentioned above and even though they will display a similar color pattern as the dominant male, it will be more subdued. If or when the dominant male dies, the largest most dominant female’s hormones will flood with testosterone and she will become the dominant male. This can be a problem if there is a submale present in the harem because he will certainly see a chance to move up to the “head of household”. The female with hormones raging and the submale with ambition and stars in his eyes may duke it out and the winner will surely be the new man of the house. It’s best to keep just one anthias or a group of three or more. If you only have two anthias the male will surely dominate the lone female to death. More females are needed to spread the “love” or, more accurately, the abuse around more evenly.

Photo by: unknown
anthias-b-jpg.495618

I have 3 lyretail anthias in the display at work. One female, one submale and one dominant male. This came about because the old dominant male got sick and was unable to dominate his two females enough to keep his position. The largest of the females turned into a male before the other had healed and took over. So, now the old male, who is completely healed up and who’s colors faded quite a bit after the takeover, is allowed to stay in the group but as a non-competing male.

Terrible video by: melypr1985 ** these are the actual anthias in the display at my work. For about 3 seconds lol

Anthias can be difficult to keep in the home aquarium. There are some that are more difficult than others and getting them to eat seems to be one of the hardest parts. On the reef they eat mostly zooplankton so that might be the best way to get them eating in the home aquarium. They will also eat mysis shrimp, fish eggs, brine and other meaty choices. They can be gotten to eat pellets and sometimes flakes with some patience. Ideally, they should be fed multiple times a day, though that’s not always possible for everybody.

When picking out your anthias at the LFS you want to always check that they are eating first. Doing this may mean passing on several batches of anthias before you purchase, but it could mean the difference between success and not. Of course, you may order online and not get the chance to see if they eat first. Either way, you’ll want to offer a wide variety of choices until they pick something they want to eat. You can get them to branch out from there.

Photo by: Voltaire81

anthias-e-png.495615

As always, quarantine is always recommended. Anthias can be prone to severe infections the cause of which can very. I suggest treating in QT for ich and flukes at the least, which will cover the basics. Keep an eye out for signs of velvet and be ready to treat with copper for that. Anthias that don’t eat and are not active in QT will usually end up dropping one by one with red sores on their sides. If you see them staying in a corner or hovering just at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins (you’ll know if it’s weird and not a normal behavior when you see it), then I suggest treating with a broad-spectrum antibiotic to head off these severe infections that I see take down so many anthias. It doesn’t usually take long for the fish to die after they are observed acting strangely and not eating. Putting your anthias through quarantine is truly a great idea to have the best chance of success. It not only gives you the chance to make sure they are healthy, but also to get them eating a variety of foods before they go into the display with other competition for food.

Photo by: ryecoon

anthias-a-jpg.495616

A group of anthias can add lots of color and movement to a display tank that is large enough to accommodate them. Keeping them in twos is a bad idea for the poor female in that duo. A good qt protocol is absolutely important and feeding can be difficult at first. Be prepared when you buy your first group of anthias and you’ll have a group of beautiful fish for years to come.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write up!
I love anthia, always keep them, and I usually keep 2-3 species of anthia together, makes a nice mix of color and shape, and I usually start off w/ lyretails since they are less shy and less finicky eaters, often encourage the more shy species to come out and eat, and they also take pellets fairly easy which is nice as I can use my auto feeder to help handle the daily multiple feedings they should be given.
This is my somewhat new tank(started w/ very established rock) so it's a bit stark as corals go yet, but my mix of anthia and chromis add a very nice splash of color.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got three females three weeks ago. They seemed good at first, but one quickly became inactive and died within 48 hours. The second female seemed normal but was gone 3 days later. I'm not sure of these had disease or if they fought. They seemed to tussle a little bit after they went into QT. The last female has continued in great health, and has already learned to get in position when I walk by so that she catches the Reef Chili as soon as I drop it into the flow. She gets along great with a leopard wrasse added at the same time. I hope to move them to DT in another week or two!

Katy did

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anthias are very popular in the hobby because of their beautiful colors and ability to keep them in groups. Bright pinks, oranges and yellows make them very attractive to hobbyists. The belief that they are “nice” community fish or that they stay small is also attractive to the home aquarist. Now, they can certainly be nice community fish, but most don’t stay very small at all. With sizes that range from three inches to 7 inches, the average size tends to be about 5 inches long at adulthood. They generally need a tank of about 125 gallons to live in.

Photo by: marvinsreef

anthias-c-jpg.495612

There are many species of anthias and they all come with different intricacies in their care requirements, but for the purposes of this article, these anthias will be lumped into a big pink and orange group of Anthiadinae. It’s almost funny that these fish are related to groupers, basses and basslets. In the wild, anthias will shoal in large numbers (often 100’s of them) around the reef. Inside each shoal there are subgroups or harems. Most harems consist of anywhere from two to a dozen females, a dominant male and maybe even a submale or two. The dominant male is aggressive, protective of his territory and females and the most colorful of the group. The submale (subdominant), is less colorful than the dominant, not aggressive or protective or even competitive unless the dominant male dies.

Photo by: Tanggirl12

anthias-d-jpg.495613

With anthias, every fish is born a female. The largest of the group usually develops into the dominant male. It is possible to have other males in a harem, as I mentioned above and even though they will display a similar color pattern as the dominant male, it will be more subdued. If or when the dominant male dies, the largest most dominant female’s hormones will flood with testosterone and she will become the dominant male. This can be a problem if there is a submale present in the harem because he will certainly see a chance to move up to the “head of household”. The female with hormones raging and the submale with ambition and stars in his eyes may duke it out and the winner will surely be the new man of the house. It’s best to keep just one anthias or a group of three or more. If you only have two anthias the male will surely dominate the lone female to death. More females are needed to spread the “love” or, more accurately, the abuse around more evenly.

Photo by: unknown
anthias-b-jpg.495618

I have 3 lyretail anthias in the display at work. One female, one submale and one dominant male. This came about because the old dominant male got sick and was unable to dominate his two females enough to keep his position. The largest of the females turned into a male before the other had healed and took over. So, now the old male, who is completely healed up and who’s colors faded quite a bit after the takeover, is allowed to stay in the group but as a non-competing male.

Terrible video by: melypr1985 ** these are the actual anthias in the display at my work. For about 3 seconds lol

Anthias can be difficult to keep in the home aquarium. There are some that are more difficult than others and getting them to eat seems to be one of the hardest parts. On the reef they eat mostly zooplankton so that might be the best way to get them eating in the home aquarium. They will also eat mysis shrimp, fish eggs, brine and other meaty choices. They can be gotten to eat pellets and sometimes flakes with some patience. Ideally, they should be fed multiple times a day, though that’s not always possible for everybody.

When picking out your anthias at the LFS you want to always check that they are eating first. Doing this may mean passing on several batches of anthias before you purchase, but it could mean the difference between success and not. Of course, you may order online and not get the chance to see if they eat first. Either way, you’ll want to offer a wide variety of choices until they pick something they want to eat. You can get them to branch out from there.

Photo by: Voltaire81

anthias-e-png.495615

As always, quarantine is always recommended. Anthias can be prone to severe infections the cause of which can very. I suggest treating in QT for ich and flukes at the least, which will cover the basics. Keep an eye out for signs of velvet and be ready to treat with copper for that. Anthias that don’t eat and are not active in QT will usually end up dropping one by one with red sores on their sides. If you see them staying in a corner or hovering just at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins (you’ll know if it’s weird and not a normal behavior when you see it), then I suggest treating with a broad-spectrum antibiotic to head off these severe infections that I see take down so many anthias. It doesn’t usually take long for the fish to die after they are observed acting strangely and not eating. Putting your anthias through quarantine is truly a great idea to have the best chance of success. It not only gives you the chance to make sure they are healthy, but also to get them eating a variety of foods before they go into the display with other competition for food.

Photo by: ryecoon

anthias-a-jpg.495616

A group of anthias can add lots of color and movement to a display tank that is large enough to accommodate them. Keeping them in twos is a bad idea for the poor female in that duo. A good qt protocol is absolutely important and feeding can be difficult at first. Be prepared when you buy your first group of anthias and you’ll have a group of beautiful fish for years to come.

Very nice write up!
I love anthia, always keep them, and I usually keep 2-3 species of anthia together, makes a nice mix of color and shape, and I usually start off w/ lyretails since they are less shy and less finicky eaters, often encourage the more shy species to come out and eat, and they also take pellets fairly easy which is nice as I can use my auto feeder to help handle the daily multiple feedings they should be given.
This is my somewhat new tank(started w/ very established rock) so it's a bit stark as corals go yet, but my mix of anthia and chromis add a very nice splash of color.

You say you feed many times a day. How many. How can you feed them many times if you are away for a few days? We have someone that comes in every other day to feed when we are gone. Also, the Lyrie tails are those the ones that are bright orange with the yellow?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got three females three weeks ago. They seemed good at first, but one quickly became inactive and died within 48 hours. The second female seemed normal but was gone 3 days later. I'm not sure of these had disease or if they fought. They seemed to tussle a little bit after they went into QT. The last female has continued in great health, and has already learned to get in position when I walk by so that she catches the Reef Chili as soon as I drop it into the flow. She gets along great with a leopard wrasse added at the same time. I hope to move them to DT in another week or two!

Most people I know that keep them agree they can ship rather "dirty" for lack of better terms, known to be especially vulnerable to uronema, and while it is best to qt all fish I'd say this is especially true w/ anthia, can't say for sure that is what your issue is, bu
You say you feed many times a day. How many. How can you feed them many times if you are away for a few days? We have someone that comes in every other day to feed when we are gone. Also, the Lyrie tails are those the ones that are bright orange with the yellow?

Females are mostly bright orange depending on region which they are collected, some variation, as w/ the males which is much bigger variation in color.
I feed at least 3x a day, I have an eheim auto feeder that doses pellets and flake a couple times while at work, when I come home I have a mix of frozen I squirt in w/ a turkey baster a couple/few times through the evening.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this informative article.
This is one of the things that keeps me coming back to R2R, all of the very knowledgeable people that share so much.

I just put 2 square back anthias (1 male, 1 female), a male blue jaw trigger and a black/white oc. clownfish in TTM on 03.12.17. All are eating well and get along well in the same tank.

Only the clownfish is mine, I'm doing TTM/QT for a friend to try and break him of his fish killing ways. :eek:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another terrific article!

I wasn't really planning on anthias, but I'm (mostly) glad to have my two Bartlett's - both males, I think, and they spar often with no visible damage. (They're among my faves to look at, but I think they've driven my flasher wrasses into hiding ... or worse.)

~Bruce

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another terrific article!

I wasn't really planning on anthias, but I'm (mostly) glad to have my two Bartlett's - both males, I think, and they spar often with no visible damage. (They're among my faves to look at, but I think they've driven my flasher wrasses into hiding ... or worse.)

~Bruce

Of the anthia that commonly shoal in the wild, bartletts usually do end up fighting and whitle down to one male

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool article. My Trio below:
Lyrtail Anthias School.JPG
Lyretail Anthias in a mixed reef 75g. Two months and all is good as all three stay together and only minor posturing/flashing from male.

I love the fiji males like yours as they become purple, very nice.

This was my last male that was sold to me as a S. African variety, very different color as a male in comparison, I liked it, but I do like the fiji males better, but I actually prefer the african females as they have a blue line below the eye the fiji variety do not have.
This is that male.

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the key points in keeping anthias successfully beside feeding is temperature. Most of the times , if temperature is around 75 - 76 F , it really helps with anthias keeping infections at bay .
The other thing is low lighting and hence they fare pretty well in a NPS tank.

I myself have 3 groups coming tomorrow and as always pretty scared even though they are quarantined and all - Charlenae , Randalls and Loris . All deepwater and definitely wayy tougher but a little peaceful compared to the Ignitus, Bartletts and Bimacs .

Have loads of stashes of cyclops, cyclop zee , nutramar ova (thats magical for purple queens) , mini mysis , frozen and live brine shrimps, LRS and reef chilli at hand . But still am scared as I know they drop dead so easily especially the deepwater ones.
Wish I could keep them in a NPS tank but mine is acro dominant with temparature constant at 77.2 . Will see how it goes .

Regards,
Abhishek

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the species we keep (mostly pseudoanthias) are deepwater. Most can be acclimated to higher light, higher temperature conditions. Very important to use QT, partly for diseases like uronema, but also to get them eating. In my long experience with these fish, keeping them well fed and with plenty if space can prevent winnowing down of numbers. I currently have 5 bimacs, 2 bartletts, 4 resplendents and 1 carberryi.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back