Flow Monitoring Kit (FMK) NSI Beta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm guessing since I haven't gotten it I didn't get approved for the beta testing group.
But I am excited for these can wait to get one looking good

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Apex do you have this connected to? Curious if it works with the "old", or I guess they are calling it the Apex classic.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Apex do you have this connected to? Curious if it works with the "old", or I guess they are calling it the Apex classic.

I'm using one of the new Apex (2016) models but, the FMM will be compatible with the Apex Classic and Apex Jr. I think about 2/3 of the beta test group are using Apex Classic, but they're waiting on a firmware update before they can finish install. I've seen plenty of plumbing photos from them however, so I'd expect a lot more data as soon as they get that firmware update.

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of your install? I have seen that you need 5" of pipe on each side of the flow meter and im curious to see how this will work in most stand that have limited space.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bad example, I have a basement sump so no space issues. You can see my plumbing back on the first page of this thread Flow Monitoring Kit (FMK) NSI Beta - Post #4

I think the plumbing requirements have gotten a bit misconstrued. As part of the beta program Neptune gave us two main instructions, one that stated an "ideal" length of straight, same sized plumbing before/after the flow sensor. They also gave us an instructional video that showed flow sensors basically next to 90's. So I don't think it's a deal breaker if you have a super tight sump setup. I see why you would want to straight run, less turbulence = more accurate readings, but I'm not sure how much more accurate. Besides, what you're likely wanting to look for on a day to day basis is change. So if you have to 90 before your sensor your high/low warning might be a little wider than mine due to decreased accuracy, but you're still going to see variance when it happens and be alerted accordingly.

All in all I think it's a minor issue but haven't done any actual testing to confirm that. I know the beta firmware just got released for the Apex Classic so there will be a lot more "bucket test" data popping up soon.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5" of straight pipe reduces turbulence which increases the accuracy of the sensor. For a flow status scenario, this is not an issue.

Say you were trying to calculate the BTU load of a heat exchanger or chiller, accuracy would be important.

Justin, are you beta testing the optical sensors as well?

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say you were trying to calculate the BTU load of a heat exchanger or chiller, accuracy would be important.
Very true, good point!
Justin, are you beta testing the optical sensors as well?
I requested one, but they weren't available at the time the beta orders shipped. Hopefully I can get my hands on one shortly. Based on my usage so far I see me having at least two FMM's, one with flow sensors (manifold return, upstairs DT return, GFO, carbon) and one with water sensors (sump flooding, sump running dry, two water on the ground sensors). I'd love to replace ALL my float switches with optical sensors, but in a lot of spots I already have double redundancy. For example my ATO resivour (55g drum) has two float switches connected to a BoB that tells me if the water is low or high. It has a float valve switch to stop the water BEFORE the high float switch so I already have built in redundancy. Replacing both of those with optical sensors would be great, but if I did that everywhere (ATO, NSW, Skimmer, etc) I would need like 4 FMMs, lol.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be very much welcomed for my setup that runs off one big pump. Now I can find out how much I'm feeding different things off my manifold more accuratly. I am assuming flow sensors are going to be able to be bought separate as well? Is there any plans for 3/4in sensors or just 1inch and 1/2?

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you'll be able to by the FMK kit with the FMM, 1" sensor, and 2 x 1/2" sensors. The FMM and all sensors will also be available separately. I think they're planing an "ATO kit" with a PMUP as well.

I haven't seen any discussion of a 3/4" sensor. It's pretty easy just to upsize a section of plumbing for the 1" since they send the bulkheads with it.

DSD1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FMK works great on my system. Very pleased with it!!!!

ThreeAces_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great; Im tagging along for this. 1 question - are the sensors for the media after the reactors? I've always done carbon by eye and GFO by the "tumble" so it would be reassuring to get a more definitive answer.

DSD1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one installed before my gfo/carbon reactor and one before my UV light.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great; Im tagging along for this. 1 question - are the sensors for the media after the reactors? I've always done carbon by eye and GFO by the "tumble" so it would be reassuring to get a more definitive answer.

Before, just in case some media gets loose and damages the sensor. This is more important with calcium reactors, but I'd still keep the sensor before with GFO/Carbon as well.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking thru the unit, what do the sensors look like?

Like this. :)

Nx0otCq.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back