Giant 4ft Sea Worm Unmasked as Coral Killer!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue20Reef20Giant20Reef20Worm20crop.jpg

This "worm" was found at the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay and dubbed the Coral Killer! WOW it's a beauty! :squigglemouth:

It was 4ft long and bit through a 20lb test of fishing line!

Last edited:

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MY GOD! I would hate to see that thing in my tank!

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Eunicid Steve Weast pulled out of his tank.
Oregonreef.com
Nasty.
His website was one of the first I stumbled across when I started getting interested in reefkeeping, when I saw that pic of that worm it was almost enough to make me change my mind.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I'm going to have nightmares now. Things like that freak me out.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Bobbit worm. This is after I broke a 2 foot section off. Yes they are coral eaters. The night before I caught him I watched him eat a cap like an ear of corn. His lair had two quart jars of frags in it.

1Bobbit001.jpg

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my tank also. Couldn't get it out until I broke the tank down for a move. I just left the rock it was living in out of the new setup. It was only 20 inches long. It ate a LOT of acans and zoas before I figured out what was happening..... dang worm.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post makes me want to remove my sandbed and rocks.

I guess I'll just hang corals on frag racks.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this guy out of my 20 gal tank a couple weeks ago. I had been trying to catch him for a while now but he would never extend his body completely out of the base rock he lived in. I have seen him stretch at least 15 inches as he has gone coral diving halfway across my tank while his rear end is still in the base rock.

He looks like a normal bristle worm to me but I suspected him of killing all my dusters in the last year and a half. I believe he had a taste for the feather portions (not the worm itself) but unconfirmed if this is true. It was really horrible to watch the dusters get attacked (it always happened at night and I would see the aftermath in the morning), recover their crowns then get attacked again.

I started filming this (vid is kinda long, the good stuff is at 1:55):
[video=youtube;RshUozpT1Pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshUozpT1Pk&feature=plcp[/video]

Then i decided to drop the phone and try to catch him since he was so far extended out of the rock and then i had this:
[video=youtube;UIiRdOYayR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiRdOYayR8&feature=plcp[/video]

Back