Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of invaluable information in this thread is amazing. Awesome thread, even more amazing build. Thanks Terrance!
Posts like this keep me doing it.

BTW, my ORP keeps dropping. Getting closer to the sweet spot. When I get home from FL I will be checking the Nitrate of the effluent of the Denitrator.

upload_2017-2-4_23-23-40.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, once it gets in the "zone", I will toggle between a high-flow setting (profile), low-flow setting (profile), and OFF for my DOS, all based on the ORP (pH) value.

skydancer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence Is it possible to comment on the intraday ALK reading you're getting from Welch's monitor?
Do you have a graph? Over say a few days.
I'd like to know what happens to ALK during the photo cycle etc.
Thanks. I love your built thread. Keep it up.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a graph, of course just like the one I posted a few months back, but due to some testing and R&D work, the data has some anomalies. Also, I am running it just four times a day so you wouldn't be able to see the trends you are looking for.

Keep an eye out here though, I will likely post more info in the not too distant future.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those following my thread, what is your opinion, and your experience, dosing phytoplankton?

Considering doing it, as it seems to make logical sense, but I really want to get some opinions and experiences.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix phytoplankton in with my frozen food "slurry" - I mix ~1/2c tank water, a bit of VitaChem, about 15-20 various frozen food cubes (Hikari, mostly), and about 1oz of phytoplankton. I feed this 2x a day; making sure to keep my skimmer off for about an hour during and feeding.

Because I've always been feeding like this, however, I can't really say if it's of a huge benefit or not - which is really what you're asking... Sorry.

skydancer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for years and didn't observe any benefits. I made my own and dosed. No longer making any.
Not for me.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a reason to dose it then do if not then why?

This is a funny comment. Of course, but how would I know and what should I do - that is the question.

The reason given by some is that it is the primary building block of the food chain and can be incredibly beneficial. While that is for sure how it is in the wild, is there some empirical evidence out there that has led any of you to do it?

I have never done it before but then again all of my prior tanks were inherited (bought used) and then trnsferred as I grew into bigger tanks. Thus their life cycles were quite mature (rocks, water, pods, etc). This is the first tank I have done with such virgin parts like clean rock and sand and a fresh cycle. It is far from mature. That is why I was contemplating using it.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a bunch of clams, scallops, sponges, tunicates, feather dusters, or any other filter feeding invertebrates that requires such small food? If not then don't add the extra nutrients to your tank.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small seed population from Neptune Aquatics here in San Jose (great store BTW). They have one of the most diverse refugiums under each of their tanks that I have ever seen. Robert there sold me a mixed bag of various macro algae, small rocks with sponges and tunicates, and others with feather duster colonies on them. All loaded with pods too.

I placed all of this in my sump where I have about 100 pounds of extra rock.

Since then the sponges have been growing and spreading, the macro has taken over, and the feather duster colonies and tunicates have multiplied and can even be spotted here and there up in the display.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should try it....feeding (or dosing) phytoplankton will not hurt anything and can only be beneficial IMO. It does add nutrients, like all feeding does, but good filtration (like your skimmer and esp your sulfer rx) will keep levels stable. This method is very popular across the pond

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Terence,

My quick answer is that phytoplankton serves as a food source, and that's it. The most important thing to keep in mind is that phytoplankton is a source of nutrition that is unique. Feeding multiple species of phytoplankton offers a variety of nutritional types. In the hobby, the mantra is variety, variety, variety. We all do this with our fish, always providing a variety of nutrition. Some animals benefit tremendously from phytoplankton feedings: NPS corals, bivalves, crustaceans, basket and feather stars, gorgonians and sea fans, and Sabellid feather dusters. Can the results be quantified? Well, some would say that the fact that the animal, or colony, is alive is enough proof for them. For instance, non-tridacnid bivalves live longer when phytoplankton is incorporated into the diet. We have a flame scallop going on 2 years in our office tank. I have heard from a number of people that they die off within 6 months to a year due to starvation. We have shellfish customers that use our phytoplankton blends and single species products because it is an absolute requirement for their delicate larvae and for conditioning broodstock. There is no doubt that bivalves grow faster when fed phytoplankton.

If your tank has inhabitants that qualify as filter feeders and are known to consume phytoplankton, then the answer should be easy: feed them microalgae. I feed microalgae to our office tank, along with our Oyster-Feast. Microalgae is in the small particle feed category (1 to 20 microns roughly), so animals that rely on this size range will benefit.

We would be happy to send you a free sample of one of our blends. Let me know.

Chad

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great things coming soon to the 425. Corals and fish.

Here is a preview of the corals:

First, from a raffle at the frag swap last weekend, I won a $250 Jason Fox gift certificate. Her is a poor pic of what is coming from that today:
upload_2017-2-9_14-20-59.png

Next, Top Shelf Aquatics is sending me out some gems. I think they will arrive tomorrow. They may be small, but these are some of the hottest montipora out there right now:

upload_2017-2-9_14-22-24.png

Also coming tomorrow are three new fish that have been in quarantine and getting fat and happy for six weeks+ at LiveAquaria. This is the first time ever that I am trying an Achilles and a powder blue tang. Both are larger than my existing tangs, so I hope that it helps. Crossing my fingers. I also have a magnificent fox face coming - hopefully he will not only add some variety to the tank, but also help out the emerald crabs which are not really doing much to my valonia.

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence I finally got completely through the thread. Some nice stuff in there. Here I though I was getting updates on your tank on facebook but little did I know you were hiding it all here in detail. :)

Back