H2o2 dosing question??? Please help

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard conflicting information about what type of hydrogen peroxide to use for algae break out. Is the food grade hydrogen peroxide the one that you're supposed to use? I've read some articles where it says 35% food grade. And most articles say 3% hydrogen peroxide but do not specify food grade.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you get to the same tank concentration, it won't matter. What you buy in a drug store is USP grade and is as good as food grade.

That said, I'm not really a fan of this approach in an operating reef tank unless you are desperate.

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you get to the same tank concentration, it won't matter. What you buy in a drug store is USP grade and is as good as food grade.

That said, I'm not really a fan of this approach in an operating reef tank unless you are desperate.

Let me give you more info on my tank. It's a 55 gallon with an hob overflow running into a filter sock, I'm running the mag drive 7 as my return, and the reef octopus 110 classic as my skimmer, and running BRS gfo and rox8 carbon My parameters are as
Ph 8.1
Phosphate.04
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ca 430
Alk 7.8
Mag 1600 can't seem to bring it down. I just switched from io to Red Sea blue bucket in hopes to do so.
I am waiting on the Red Sea reefer deluxe 350 to come in later this week. And would like to get this issue cleared up before I switch tanks . Also randy my tank has only been set up sense November 30, I cycled my tank with 71 pounds of lr. At the moment I have 8 frags, three softies 4 lps one Monti, and on nice size frogspawn.
I think I my have Dino starting. But the thing is wee I saw it a vacuumed it out right away two days ago and it has not come back. I did just get of a cyano break out.
I do have a little hair algae but not worried about that I know it's normal with a new tank and just try cleaning it out everyday. What do u suggest Randy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back