hair algae on the back of tank

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gha growing but only on the back panel of the tank. I have been siphoning the algae out and scraping with razor blade. I have done a 3 day black out and that seemed to help. Tank is a 75 gallon. Only 2 fish. 1 yellow tang and 1 purple firefish. Not much clean up crew. I have 1 red leg hermit crab and 1 blue leg. 1 tiny pointed shell snail, and green sea cucumber. Also have a brittle star ,and sand sifting star. My Rodi membrane and di resin probably need replacing. I have a 6x54 t5 ho with new ATI bulbs. Sump has super reef octopus 1000sss skimmer. Fuge has chaeto. I really want this cleaned up. I have ran out of ideas. I'm willing to add fish and or add to clean up crew. Even consider a sea hare or an urchin. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also have frogapawn, hammer, goniporia, zoa frags, birdsnest frag and a sea fan. Cabbage coral and couple leathers.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give parameters? How old is the tank? At this moment I wouldn't add anymore fish. Herbivore fish may eat the algea but the are gonna add to the problem due to increasing the bioload. Also what kind of lights are you running and what is your light cycle. Do you have a tds monitor for your rodi?

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't give water parameters now as I'm not at home. No tds monitor. I run the lights about 12 hours trying to get some coral growth

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights? And when you get home shoot over parameters so we can get a general feel for what's going on. I would also strongly suggest at least a 2 probe in line tds for your rodi. This Will atleast Allow You to know when your membranes going and when to replace your di resin

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gha growing but only on the back panel of the tank. I have been siphoning the algae out and scraping with razor blade. I have done a 3 day black out and that seemed to help. Tank is a 75 gallon. Only 2 fish. 1 yellow tang and 1 purple firefish. Not much clean up crew. I have 1 red leg hermit crab and 1 blue leg. 1 tiny pointed shell snail, and green sea cucumber. Also have a brittle star ,and sand sifting star. My Rodi membrane and di resin probably need replacing. I have a 6x54 t5 ho with new ATI bulbs. Sump has super reef octopus 1000sss skimmer. Fuge has chaeto. I really want this cleaned up. I have ran out of ideas. I'm willing to add fish and or add to clean up crew. Even consider a sea hare or an urchin. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also have frogapawn, hammer, goniporia, zoa frags, birdsnest frag and a sea fan. Cabbage coral and couple leathers.
What are you feeding and how often?
Sounds like a nutrient issue

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean nutrition flake, and frozen ocean nutrition reef mix, misis, and brine. I alternate on the frozen and usually on feed 1 time a day. Don't feed much as I only have 2 fish

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed all the food listed. That's just what I rotate with. Fish only get fed 1 to 2 times a day. Only what they can eat in about 1 minute.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will eat it off the back panel? I don't have much live stock anyway. Shouldn't hurt to add something. The live rock and sand I used was from a tank that had been going a year or longer. This tank has been running since the beginning of June.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live stock will help maintain it is not meant to control you need to solve your problem first. Honestly I would cut you r light cycle down to just actinic for 2 hours in morning 2 hours at night and 8 full intensity. And when you setup the tank did you wash the sand before you transferred it? Was the rock out for a while?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your sump? Whats your chaeto growth rate? How big is the ball of chaeto? Do you have flow in the sump? Is the Chaeto green or yellowing? Ever thought of running GFO or Lanthanum?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the yellow tang munching on the algae ? There is a kind that the yellow tangs won't eat cause they die if they do. I am pretty lucky with my yellow tang that cleans all the hairy algae

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your sump? Whats your chaeto growth rate? How big is the ball of chaeto? Do you have flow in the sump? Is the Chaeto green or yellowing? Ever thought of running GFO or Lanthanum?
Sump is 30 gallon breeder. Chaeto doesn't grow very much. I think it's my light causing that. Chaeto still green just not much growth. I have a small pump in the fuge to keep movement on Chaeto. There is about a pound of Chaeto. Will look into gfo, lanthanum.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the yellow tang munching on the algae ? There is a kind that the yellow tangs won't eat cause they die if they do. I am pretty lucky with my yellow tang that cleans all the hairy algae
Yellow tang eats a few bites of it a day. I really need glass cleaners.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have ocean revive artic t247s that will be here Monday. So I guess changing lighting schedule really won't help when I'm fixing to change lights all together

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back