Hands down what is the best salt mix????

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used IO for years, corals did fine, switched to reef crystals a couple months ago and everything has taken off in a huge way and looks tons better, worth the few bucks extra to me. 200g box makes 160g-170g for me at 1.026

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the numbers I get out of Salinity. My last batch I made had and Alk of 137ppm and Calcium of 455ppm. Those are right where I want them.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaChem's AquaVitro has been great for almost a year now on an SPS tank....like the consistant results/parameters.

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amongst all the top brands named here there is probably no "best" or "bad" salt and it comes down to personal preferences.
If you want to run your tank with high Alk levels get a salt that is high in Alk. If you prefer running "near sea level" go for a low Alk salt.

A few things that are important to me when buying salt:
  • Salt mix where the levels are consistent in every bucket I buy.
  • Salt that matches more or less the levels I am running in my tank
  • no brown residue left after mixing. Probably not a bad thing when it does but I just hate it
  • Has to be available locally
I use Tunze Excel salt for a couple years now and very happy with it

slim_santa_chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz salt has the best balance in my opinion. made in small batches and you can check the number on the box and see what your batch tested at.

slim_santa_chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other salt is able to do this without alk being really high.
22e19ac2152fa37d3a3703ca3a7ab2d8.jpg

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Coralife salt mix In my 30g and it's been nothing less than stellar! The only (not so) required dosing is an Alk buffer

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from RC to RSCP reason why I made the switch is because the brown crap the RC would leave in my mixing barrel. Now with the RSCP salt I feel the dkh is way to high so I am think about going with the blue bucket because the dkh is almost right on to NSW

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO and RC are available just about everywhere so that is what I've been using (RC exclusively in this tank though I almost switched to IO to keep the alkalinity a bit lower). Haven't seen any reason not to use either so that is what I use.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you heavily dose Iodine with that as there is none in it. It is after all a necessary nutrient.
Thanks for pointing that out. I knew I was noticing signs of iodine deficiency in my corals.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquavitro Salinity has been very good for myself, seems to mix to what they claim on bucket. The top is the best. It is also made in smaller batches, mixed and put aside and sample taken for testing ( sent out of house and also tested in house ) if test are within what is expected it is sent for packaging. This is what I was told when I spoke with SeaChem and is made at the SeaChem facility I believe in Ga. I know I use much less Salt to get the same Salinity reading I was with other brands I have used.

No other salt is able to do this without alk being really high.
22e19ac2152fa37d3a3703ca3a7ab2d8.jpg

Actually there are quite a few Salts that those numbers some with even less Alk. Salinity for one and TM Pro. I also believe Fauna Marin will give similar results, also I believe some say Omega One falls in there also.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back