Has the consensus changed on parameters?

Where do you keep your dKH and NO3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primarily for SPS dominant tanks, it was always said keep your NO3 at zero or near zero then it became keep a little bit of nitrates or your corals will brown out. And keep alk high - 9-11.

Now it seems that many have proven that high NO3 and low alk equals great coloration and growth. I’ve always struggled with higher nitrates and I keep my alk around 7. I can’t disagree with this concept. Just curious what success everyone else has had in regards to these parameters.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my alk about 10.5, nitrates vary from 2-6. And po4 is usually around 1.0, I've tried the 8.0 dkh for alk and had a basic stall of growth. When I got it back up it took off again. But that's in this system. In the past I've had systems that did amazing at 7.5dkh

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my alk about 10.5, nitrates vary from 2-6. And po4 is usually around 1.0, I've tried the 8.0 dkh for alk and had a basic stall of growth. When I got it back up it took off again. But that's in this system. In the past I've had systems that did amazing at 7.5dkh
Did you keep track of pH in correlation to your alk as well?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always allowed my nitrates to stay higher than most (around 15 to 20. Sometimes higher). I keep my alkalinity at the high side of 9dKH. My SPS corals including acro's are flourishing. Literally. They are growing into each other faster than I can keep up with. I do have a very aggressive nutrient export system, and my tangs help keep algae out of the display. I also dose trace elements.
Is the theory that keeping NO3 and Alk lower for SPS dominant tanks valid? I can't say, but what I'm doing seems to be working.
And I just occasionally test my PH. It's always rock solid.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my dkh between 7.8 and 8.5. P04 is .03 to .1. N03 is <1. Tank is ok. My view is nature knows best long term. Run the tank close to natural sea water and keep stable should be ok.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back