Hello from Houston!

ReefDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Hubby and I are just starting in the saltwater side of things, but we are super excited to be doing it. Both of us have always wanted a marine tank, and life has finally given us the option to go for it!

We have a 75Gal tank with a fluvial 306 canister and a coralife light fixture with two T5's and two actinic. (Blue tube lights?). We weren't intending to start out with this equipment, however, we were offered it all as a secondhand package and the price was too amazing to pass up.

We also have a 300-watt heater with controller and probe, an aquatop powerhead rated at around 1300 gph, as well as 60 lbs of "fine" sand, and around 60-70 lbs of caribsea liferock.

It's only been fully set up for the last day and a half, and the temp is remaining pretty stable around 77.6-79.0 *F. Salinity is a bit harder to get into a proper zone, it's hovering around 1.028, I have heard that it can take a day or two to completely stabilize, though, So I will be monitoring that over the weekend.

Anyway, I think that is everything we've done with it so far! :) Here are a few pictures from last night.
OQ3BfOn.jpg

This one is just the white lights,
QRJ09Sx.jpg

And one with both sets of lights.

And to answer a few questions I'm sure will be coming:
  • We are planning on getting a sump with a refugium, somewhere in the 25-35 gallon range. Our stand is a little small, so a custom might be our only option.
  • Skimmer is on the "soon to buy" list, but we would like to save up a bit first and get a higher quality one instead of skimping on the price. We also want to have it in the sump, so a HOB would be a bit tedious.
And lastly, We are thinking of stocking it with 2 snowflake clowns, some sort of goby/or jawfish, and eventually, a mandarin of some sort. (Way off in the future.) :D

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the salty side. The aquascape is very nice.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Nice rock work, thanks for sharing!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
ReefDragon

ReefDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for such a kind welcome, and all the complements! We really can't wait til the cycle is over so we can start to add our fish!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back