Help me ID this Tang

PracticallyLocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told this is a Pulani Tang when I bought it but everything I've seen online is confusing in regards to this particular Tang. It is often confused between Acanthurus Grammoptilus and Acanthurus Dussumieri. Thoughts?? I can't find any pics of Juveniles resembling mine.

Thanks for any thoughts.

3cf1bb870b4d03be2baa0168a3f794ea.jpg

be5a8867da69c03764f467f31f499484.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, can't tell from that shot, could be one of the 3 listed. tough to tell by the blurred shots also, are there any stripes on the body?

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it could be mixed, look like bristle tooth family. If it's tail turn red with blue body....awesome.

OP
OP
PracticallyLocal

PracticallyLocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9fd150085eb75484c7cad862d4e9d592.jpg

So here's as good as pic as I can get so far. It was sold to my LFS as a Pulani Tang but so little is online about them and there are contradicting info mistaking them as one of the tangs I mentioned in my original post.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9fd150085eb75484c7cad862d4e9d592.jpg

So here's as good as pic as I can get so far. It was sold to my LFS as a Pulani Tang but so little is online about them and there are contradicting info mistaking them as one of the tangs I mentioned in my original post.

The fins and tail look bristle tooth.

It may be a white tail bristle tooth (although they generally have more yellow in the eyes) or a less flattering tomini tang as some are dark like this. How large is it?

The body looks potentially Acanthurus which is throwing me off. The Acanthurus nigricani has similar look but the fins are not shaped like this.

I am not as familiar with less common Acanthurus tangs but it looks a lot like a black shoulder tang to me as well, with bristletooth tail and anal fin! :/

If I am calling it though it's a tomini tang with less color.

OP
OP
PracticallyLocal

PracticallyLocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 3-4". It appears to have stripes running laterally similar to a purple tang.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 3-4". It appears to have stripes running laterally similar to a purple tang.
That means me more toward the white tail bristletooth but they have more yellow eyes as a dead giveaway. That's a tough call. It doesn't have the normal Acanthurus fins so I'm sticking with a bristletooth

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got no idea, I've scrambled my brain on this one, sorry, I'm no help here.

OP
OP
PracticallyLocal

PracticallyLocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Me too!! Thanks everyone for the input. Please keep an eye out for me and if anyone can answer please keep them coming. Again thank you.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini.. Without a doubt. I had one that looked almost exactly like that. It was the difference in color that was very freaky.He had the normal colors as a juvenile, but as time went on, and he got both, thicker, bigger of course, and more comfortable with the tank, he morphed into exactly what you have.. Mine though, he only ended up having like an intense orange Mohawk on his vertical top fin, while his tail was a very bright white, along with the white stripe on his cheeks... He got very charcoal looking, and his stripes on the body I want to say were yellow or white(that part I can't remember, as you had to look very hard after a while to see them over all the grey).

He was a very interesting looking fish.. Lol, rough disposition, but beautiful!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini.. Without a doubt. I had one that looked almost exactly like that. It was the difference in color that was very freaky.He had the normal colors as a juvenile, but as time went on, and he got both, thicker, bigger of course, and more comfortable with the tank, he morphed into exactly what you have.. Mine though, he only ended up having like an intense orange Mohawk on his vertical top fin, while his tail was a very bright white, along with the white stripe on his cheeks... He got very charcoal looking, and his stripes on the body I want to say were yellow or white(that part I can't remember, as you had to look very hard after a while to see them over all the grey).

He was a very interesting looking fish.. Lol, rough disposition, but beautiful!

I have to agree looking at it again, I still concur with my first assertion and this.

OP
OP
PracticallyLocal

PracticallyLocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed some different color variances on this tang but could only catch him when he was lighter.

cdbc77523ddf723512b927aeefc82071.jpg

f437a82513171a8d568ca1cc5b1e7bbd.jpg

0ffe046740d28e864773be53a67908c0.jpg

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I was skeptically that those were its true colors. Some tangs darken when they are scared or stresses. That is a orange spotted bristletooth tang, beautiful fish but to my knowledge can get aggressive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back