Hot Water and RO Membrane?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that hot water is not good for a RO membrane?

If so, what is the effect that it has on the membrane?

I have the BRS 4 stage that I use once a week with my kitchen sink. The sink is a Delta faucet so when I open it up all the way and move it so it mixes hot and cold water the water pressure goes up and it produces my RODI water a lot faster than if I left it on the cold water only.

Thanks, GoVols

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the pressure go up? Seems the flow would be very low and the pressure should be similar regardless of whether it is hot or cold if no other water is running..

I'd avoid the hot water, although warm is probably OK.

This is the concern:

http://www.osmotik.com/info/temperature.html
"High temperatures will accelerate compaction, the loss of porosity due to compression under pressure. Fortunately, elevated temperatures are not that common in most residential and small commercial systems."

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the pressure go up? Seems the flow would be very low and the pressure should be similar regardless of whether it is hot or cold if no other water is running..

I'd avoid the hot water, although warm is probably OK.

This is the concern:

http://www.osmotik.com/info/temperature.html
"High temperatures will accelerate compaction, the loss of porosity due to compression under pressure. Fortunately, elevated temperatures are not that common in most residential and small commercial systems."
Randy, As always "Thank You"

I like the frozen pipe statement, makes sense :)

The incoming lines are very small going into the faucet so if I push the lever to the right for cold water it's pressure is less than moving the lever to the middle mixing hot and cold water. This faucet replaced another one that had bigger feed lines going into the faucet and that faucet made RODI water on cold faster than this faucet.

I could always tap the unit into the washing machine's cold water line or put in another faucet that has bigger feed lines.

Regards, GoVols

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the feedwater out of a faucet is a second least favorite way to feed a residential RO or RODI. You'll always lose pressure going through a faucet. Luckily, if you're that close to a faucet, then you're also close to the shut off valve under the faucet and a undersink shut off valve is an easy installation.

Russ

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the feedwater out of a faucet is a second least favorite way to feed a residential RO or RODI. You'll always lose pressure going through a faucet. Luckily, if you're that close to a faucet, then you're also close to the shut off valve under the faucet and a undersink shut off valve is an easy installation.

Russ
+1 on the pressure loss on those tiny feed lines. They really choke down the water from my main lines under the sink to the faucet.

I just checked and it looks like a T joint with another cut off is the answer. It would screw straight into the cold water main line cut off valve as you suggested.

Welp, Off to Home Depot :)

Russ, Thanks for your incite!

Regards, GoVols

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back