how do you learn to id corals?

flounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no pro, but i can name most common corals by their common names. But other than milli, digi, and a few others i cant tell you its a tenuis vs any other scientific name. How do i get better at it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlie is the master. I have been lucky to meet Charlie at MACNA's. I have the "BOOK" signed be him years ago. I always go the the scientific name not the "collector" or Funny name of the minute for a coral because you will not find the info you need to keep the coral

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlie is the master. I have been lucky to meet Charlie at MACNA's. I have the "BOOK" signed be him years ago. I always go the the scientific name not the "collector" or Funny name of the minute for a coral because you will not find the info you need to keep the coral
On of my friends LFS 15 min from here is a national seller(no names), and keeps inventing names. Kinda irksome.
A question popped up a few weeks ago here with care questions based on the name, no pic, it went unanswered.
For the OP once you learn species & taxonomy etc youll be quickly ID the what and where of the coral.

@reefwiser I have pledged to get more books.

OP
OP
flounder

flounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone so far.

I would someday like to have a TOTM or something similar, and they usaully have some listing of all the species of corals that they have. More often than not in the scientific names too. I think it would be a skill to look at a coral (acro) and say "that is a parilis not a papillare" or look at an acro and correctly say that its a acropora valida. Or austera or hoekemai.
Right now I just call them how I see them.....blue.....green.....bluish green :)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes studying Charlie's book and now the website. Take one page and then spend a month looking for the coral in all the SPS post's in the forum.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have in the works a taxonomic chart that I've created using "numbers" on my iPad. It's pretty much the same as excel. Now I'm NO taxonomist, but I've been spending countless hours researching and compliling information from several sources. This is a user friendly grid chart. It will be a training tool, for everything from subclass down to species.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the resources Im using to build the taxonomic chart is WoRMS "world registry of marine species". There are no pictures, so you need to know what your looking for. The web address is www.marinespecies.org

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back